1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 engine?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by britx303, Sep 10, 2017.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Very new to SVs,and know next to nothing about them. I recently got a 2003 with extremely low street miles.....practically brand new. Anyhow,awhile back I read something about this generation engine not using a thrust bearing(or something like that)on the crank,as opposed to a 1st gen,and guys have some type of engine failure. Do you guys running 2nd gen SVs open them up and add this before racing it? disclaimer:Not necassarily for motoamerica use........:D

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

Crank - flywheel is said to be a weak point because of an oil bore on the smallest diameter.

Some people are said to have backyards full of snapped cranks.

Flywheel lightening is an option

britx303 likes this.
  3. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Email Zoran @ TWF Racing....he'll get you sorted out on the changes from 1st to 2nd gen.

But yes, 03 was a crossover year....some parts from 1st gen utilized on the 03 model when they went to FI....

britx303 likes this.
  4. britx303

Great..........bad SV cranks to go with my FZR400 crank collection:cool:...........:D. I knew it was something with the crank,but couldnt find whatever it was I read to be 100%.Thanks:beer:

5. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

There are differences in the thrust washer thicknesses. I have the kit from Suzuki and can help you measure.

If you don't, then it's just a guessing game if it'll fail or not.

If you decide to tear it down, let me know and I'll hook you up with the appropriate size shim

britx303 likes this.
  6. britx303

Cool,I will look further into this soon.Thanks RB!!

7. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

There are no trust shims on 2nd gen, don't need them either.

8. TWF2

Stock rods are weakest link.

JustaNobody likes this.
  9. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Do you build 2nd gen motors as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. TWF2

11. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Pretty good ones too :beer:

12. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

For some reason I thought I read 2002. Lol. Brain fart and of course you are correct.

13. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Aren't the Gen 1 rods better? I think I've read about some folks using the first Gen rods instead of 2nd Gen.

14. TWF2

Yes they are.

Rising likes this.
  15. britx303

As crazy as this sounds.....I want to trade the SV for a 2nd gen R6:crackup: I cant seem to get excited about this bike now.

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I think this makes us buddies now. I'm rocking a 400, hate SVs and now have a 2nd gen R6. We should start a club!

britx303 likes this.
  17. britx303

Oh my 400 isnt going anywhere either......the SV just seems wrong......... The R6 seems right:D

18. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

You'll be slow on the sv anyway....dump it for peanuts. I'll give you 100 bucks for your heap.:Poke:

britx303 likes this.
  19. britx303

:crackup:You're probably right besides the 100 bucks part........:beer:

Jon Wilkens likes this.