1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 Endurance Q

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by Super Dave, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

Ok, so how many miles will a stock SV650 tank carry a rider in an endurance race? Someone have a rule of thumb? 15MPG and translate that into laps and time? That's what I did with my 600's, but this is an SV, so...

Thanks in advance!

2. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

50 minutes

3. Super Dave

On a long track with a lot of full throttle or a flowing track with less throttle opening?

4. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

at road atlanta, we figured 50-55 minutes, but we broke so we never made it there. barber we went 60 minutes. talladega we went 65 minutes. stock tank.

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Dave, are you doing Team Challenge,WERA, or Moto-ST?
    Not sure who taught these guys how to fill their gas tanks :crackup: But we consistantly got a hour out of a stock injected SV, only mod being a full exhaust.
    Moto-St limits the fuel tank capacity to 4.5 gallons.
    The SV's were getting 50 minutes, and that was when the limit was 4.0 gallons.

6. Taylspin

Taylspin Well-Known Member

This is a dumb question, but who would make a limit of 4 gal. when the stock size tank is 4.3. What do you do, pound a dent in the top of the tank.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because the classes weren't designed for SV's only.

8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Stock SV tank is listed as 4.5 gallons-4.2 Ca models.
    There are several ways of displacing the amount of fuel.
    Most have used one of those. But if you want to smash your tank.....

9. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

no you dont pound a dent in the tank, that would be dumb. you would put something inside of the tank to occupy the excess space. and as much as some wish it were so, the classes are not desinged for sv's, so the fuel limit is for other motorcycles too.

10. Taylspin

I usually solve all my problems with a hammer.:) Is there someone who is checking fuel tank volumes? Seems like a good way to cheat. "You can't see it in there with the gas sir, but I promise I am using a displacement limiting device."

11. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

S'up SD! I thought you were gonna do large displacement twins this year??

12. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Yup. They get checked in Moto-ST.

13. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

It's such a perfect check. You take your bike through tech, with an empty tank.
    Then an official walks you over to the Sunoco[read shit fuel] pump. Then you press down on your dry brake, and they stick the pump nozzle into you tank, and fill it @ $6 a gallon.
    Then after the race is over, you have to drain your tank, and again pay $6 a gallon to fill your tank up.
    At that point, if you are over the limit, you lose positions, and points= You lose $$$$.
    Did I mention that the Sunoco fuel we are required to use, make less power than pump:Puke:

14. Super Dave

Yeah, I though that unleaded would make less power than pump gas. Pump gas is oxygenated. That 260 GTX isn't.

Ok, so if the Moto-ST rules say 4 gallons, how do you reduce the volume. Ben wa balls in the tank?

H, I have an SV1000 for Suzuki Cup. But I think we're gonna try a couple Moto-ST events for my cancer program too. Two events are just so close and easy to do given the schedule.

Trying to figure out an SV tank with a dry brake.

Great info everyone. I really appreciate it. Any more advice would be great.

15. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

An SV tank, with the guts taken out is apx 5 gallons.
    The old rules were 4 gallons, changed to 4.5 for this year.
    We took 1" rubber hose and coiled it inside the tank.
    Five feet should take up 1/2 a gallon.
    Some used empty sterno cans.
    I have not had the chance to test rubber racquet balls.
    That, and some tank foam should work.
    Did I say how much I hate that shit fuel:D
    The difference on my new engines, between MR1 and it = 7hp + 3ft torque

16. 92excel

92excel Well-Known Member

Buel..ler?

17. Super Dave

Ok, hey, that helps tons.

I think we'll race at Road America, which should leave us time to get ready, I hope...LOL!

18. Taylspin

Sounds like an awfully lot of work to get the tank volume the right size. Good luck to you all, some ways I wish I was doing it, and others, no thanks.

19. Super Dave

I'll admit that it leaves a level playing field.

20. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Yeah, it's really tough depositing the $4000 check for 2nd place:)