1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV RPM drops going into gear

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Rising, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is an issue or if it is normal with the mods I have. Bike is a 2nd Gen SV650, 2003. When I put the bike into gear I noticed that the revs drop by 100 to 200 RPM. It does this when I go from neutral to first or neutral to second. It does it even with it on a rear stand so it is not the clutch dragging in gear. I do have the clutch switch deleted (cut black/yellow wire at ECM) and the side stand switch removed. I also have the ignition switch removed with just a toggle switch in its place. I installed a 100 ohm resistor when I added the switch but I don't remember the wire colors at the moment.

2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Just because you have it on the rear stand, why does that make you think it can't be clutch drag? Does the rear wheel start to spin when you put it in gear on the rear stand? If so, clutch drag is probably exactly what it is. Also, see if it less noticeable when the engine oil is hot. If so, probably clutch drag.

3. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

The rear wheel doesn't spin with it in gear and the clutch pulled in. The rpm drop happens whether the engine is hot or cold.

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Pull the clutch plates out, see if the behavior persists.

5. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

6. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

When the bike is on the stand, engine off in neutral, can you freely spin the back wheel? Is the rear brake sticking? I would have though it was normal to have enough drag to slowly spin the rear wheel when in gear, running with the clutch pulled in. Maybe another sv rider can verify this.

If some clutch drag is normal a sticking back brake would pull the engine down a little. Of course you can increase the clutch plate separation by just taking some slack out of the clutch cable. This may stop clutch drag.

7. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Yeah the wheel spins free.
    I'm pretty sure the mapping is changed slightly when going from neutral to in gear.

8. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Could this be the ECM going to a different map ("IAP" vice "TPS") at 3.K ?

9. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I do think it is related to a different map or timing. I just don't know if that is a bad thing or not. I plan to do a little testing with the clutch switch wires and see how it affects things. I'll report back after I do. It's really cold right now so it will probably be a little bit before I do.