1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV Penske shock reservoir has no pressure

Discussion in 'Tech' started by fixerflyer, Feb 28, 2009.

1. fixerflyer

fixerflyer Well-Known Member

2001 SV 650
    When I put the pressure gauge on the valve, it pushed the valve about one inch into the reservoir. Which leads me to believe there is no pressure in the reservoir. Is this a problem? How is it serviced?

I bought the bike with this shock installed and it looks like it was put backwards. The reservoir is on the left side of the bike, but the biggest problem with the way it is installed now, is there is no way to reach the rebound adjustment screw now on the right side of the bike. It looks like if I turned the shock around you could easily access the rebound screw from the left side.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

2. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

If there is actually no pressure in the resevoir, yes it's a problem.
    The bike will feel MUCH BETTER with a properly working rear damper.

You should send it back to Penske for a rebuild.

3. fixerflyer

I have an Ohlins I would like to put on it, but I think the spring is to soft, it is a 01091-31/95. I am 200lbs without gear.

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

no pressure is not problem, easy to pressurize it.
    question is where did it leak.
    for rebound just unbolt bottom mount, move linkage and spin shock 180.

5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

yep.

6. Rich Graver

Rich Graver Well-Known Member

7. fixerflyer

Thank you very much. I would have pulled the whole shock and turned it. Don't know where it leaked from, I am going to put some air in, then use some soapy water.:up:

8. dschumann

dschumann why bother...

It's best not to use air if possible as it can contaminate the cylinder with water vapor. Best use nitrogen or some other pure gas from a cylinder.