1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuji RGV-250 (Lucky Strike) Pics and Question

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by rytrcng, Jan 6, 2009.

1. rytrcng

rytrcng New Member

Greetings,

My significant other is the owner of a beautiful Suzuki RGV-250 with an interesting pedigree that I accidentally damaged. Here's the story: As I understand it, the bike is a '98 Suzuki RGV 250 (I guess they stopped making the RGV 250 in '97 but this one is special as it was made for some Moto GP superstar) with a custom exhaust courtesy of Rocky Stargel. The other day, I noticed a small amount (~3 oz) of what appeared to be a grungy gas/oil mixture on the floor underneath the bike (!!!). On closer inspection, I noticed a small dent on the left (drive side) exhaust can. In the process of moving some equipment around in our garage, I most likely dented the exhaust at some point. My theory is that the dent also dislodged the can and allowed a small amount of gas/oil fluid to trickle down the exhaust and onto the floor. I am really upset; I feel like an absolute idiot by allowing my carelessness to damage a beautiful machine in near mint condition, and, as you can imagine, I'm in the doghouse at this point. I'd like to know if anyone knows how I can get a hold of Rocky Stargel to inquire about a replacement can. Here are some photos I took of the bike:

http://flickr.com/photos/raytracing/2199974929/sizes/l/in/set-72157603737267458/

http://flickr.com/photos/raytracing/2200769560/sizes/l/in/set-72157603737267458/

http://flickr.com/photos/raytracing/2199973543/sizes/l/in/set-72157603737267458/

http://flickr.com/photos/raytracing/2200767992/sizes/l/in/set-72157603737267458/

I'll take some photos of the tiny dent on the can and post soon.

2. 418

418 Expert #59

3. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Forgive me while I take a minute to drool.

4. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

This is really funny! I was thinking about that bike just the other day. I fondly remembered how pretty it was. Suzuki only made Lucky Strike replica VJ23's for a small amount of time in 1996...except for me. I wanted one and had a very well connected friend in Japan. He told me he would check with Suzuki and I thought...yeah right. He called me a week later and said I could have it with black wheels within a couple of weeks, or I could wait a month or so for them to paint the wheels white. I told him I would wait so that the bike would be exactly original.

The bike was shipped to me brand new in the crate. At the same time, I purchased every single factory race part for it. I built the engine with all the kit parts, tuned it, and rode it maybe 500km. It was far and away the best running and handling 250 streetbike I ever had. It made 70+ hp and would 'pin' the tach to 14K. I did not plan to sell it, then one day a friend made me a really good offer and it was gone.

I did not made the exhausts. The are the factory Suzuki kit pieces made by Sugaya. I do not know if they are still available from Sugaya in Japan. Alternately you could replace them with some third party carbon cans with proper slip on sleeves. You can pm me here if you have more questions, and btw thanks for satisfying my curiousity...she is still beautiful. :up:

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel Yamaha

5. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

had one too but it was not a L.S.-
    paid 850 dollars for a set of used Sugaya pipes from "RGV Steve"
    a sweet bike but i too had an offer i didn't refuse...

Attached Files:

6. RVT2002

RVT2002 Well-Known Member

Wasnt that the bike that was listed in CL for 16K ??:)

7. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

there are a few in the country but not too many...

8. rgvsp

rgvsp Member

I'd visit rgv250.co.uk for info on finding Sugaya end cans. Sugaya is still in business but obviously it is hard to order out of Japan. Some of the guys on the rgv board might have some spares. I've seen other guys with Sugayas junk the springs and weld 3 hole plates so they can mount modern carbon cans. Let me know if you need any help, I'd be glad to help.

Just for general knowledge, there is no such thing as a 98 VJ23. They were all built in a few month time span in 96. There are two variatios though, a T model and V model. V being the rare export, full power from the factory model. I've attached a picture of my hunk of junk. It's a replica of the bike Noriyasu Numata rode in the GP's back in 98.

I just remembered a guy in Australia is a dealer for Sugaya and may be able to get you a Sugaya can. rgvspares.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  9. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

10. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

Bullshit. My bike was built at the Suzuki factory in 1998. I was personally involved and suprised that they did it. If you are going to call someone a liar, you should get your facts straight. I have had alot of bikes (including a few 250s), have been doing this for a long time, and know a few folks around the globe. You coming on here with your first post and not giving your name then calling me a liar or at best just ignorant is pretty poor manners.

Just so you know, T and V are year model codes, not country of destination codes. The only full power models were made for Hong Kong. I had a Hong Kong cdi as well as a Sugaya race cdi.

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

11. Chip

Chip Registered

Rocky...you are an idiot for selling this bike.

rgvsp - You are an idiot for calling Rocky a liar. I hope you die in a house fire.

12. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

wasn't the restriction in the CDI ?
    rumor had it that the H.K. version made 70 h.p. which was,as it turned out not true.

mine was a H.K. model and was no faster,(from the seat of my pants), than my MC21 or 28
    that i had at the time..plus i was a little bit let down what with the hype...the 70 degree motor did have more torque and more "refined" in power delivery over the21/28. electric start was nice too.
    i sold mine for 10k and didn't make a dime on it...

13. rgvsp

rgvsp Member

Holy smokes, did I come raging on here calling you a liar? Is this a club that someone with a first post can't post info? I I've had a VJ23 for over 5 years now. I've tracked down every Autorimessa (who made the race kit) not Sugaya, kit part for my bike I've been an active memeber on rgv250.co.uk for over 5 years. This topic comes up there every few months. We researched the frame numbers through a French website and found they were all built in 96. Some maybe were left over for sale in 98. If I remember correctly about 3200 were produced. About 400 of those were V model made for export. Most V's ended up in Hong Kong. About 10 officially imported in Scandanavia for racing (Sweden I beleive).

The 70 hp stock was always a myth. The guys with stock V's have dynoed them and the all produce in the high 50's low 60hp. Mine has the entire race kit, kit pipes, pressurized box etc and mild porting and makes about 65hp.

I'm sorry we did not take into accout your factory built 98

By the way, yes T and V are model year codes...............they were all produced in the same years productio run 1996. If you are that upset about my info visit the rgv forum and message a member called Tasswipe. He's a guy in England who has done almost all the research. He can give you the exact month it was produced if you have the frame number.

And not to piss anyone else off my name is Ian

14. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Call me crazy but I'm betting Rocky knows exactly what HP his bike made. And maybe I'm just out of my tree but I'm guessing when Rocky got on the grapevine to snag an unobtanium model that it may not have come through the dealer network. I don't think I'm naive in the least by expecting Rocky's bike to have better build quality, power, and attention to detail than any other you've heard of. But one thing I'm clear on is that some people in this world have earned the benefit of any doubt that comes from internet group think.

Take a breath and try to learn something. Or don't. Hell, maybe Erv Kanemoto will show up and you can tell him he doesn't know his own bikes. Just recognize who you're insulting. :rolleyes:

15. rgvsp

rgvsp Member

I'm not here to worship anyone. There is alot of mis info out there about 23's. Just trying to give insight. I think my knowlege of 23's speaks for itself, I don't need to impress anyone about it, I just enjoy RGV's and especially 23's. I built mine from the ground up and along the way learned alot. Even travelled to Japan to visit Sugaya and buy parts. I don't claim any great knowledge of any other bike. It cracks me up that everyone got so rilled up over nothing.

If anyone is into 23's and has questions I'd be more than glad to talk. I'd love to find some other RGV guys in the Atlanta area.

Attached Files:

16. rytrcng

rytrcng New Member

Thanks for all the information! I'll follow up on those leads and hopefully get a new can to return it to mint condition.

17. rgvsp

rgvsp Member

Sorry for hijacking your thread discussing 23's. Your husband's bike is beautiful and what a wife who finds parts for him!!!! My wife try's to run over mine every chance she gets.

18. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Isn't Rocky saying its a 1998 and you saying there is no such thing the same as calling him a liar?

19. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

Everyone chill out. :Poke: :crackup:

The dude was more than likely talking production models. Rocky got his special and unobtanium 'cause he's well, Rocky (duh!). To top it off, HP wise, Rocky is one of the best 250 2-stroke race tuners in the U.S. There is no doubt his bike(s) make gadzooks more power than the commonly available machines.

Stop jumping down his throat already. Sit back, sip that leftover eggnog and take a deep breathe. :D

Ian: Welcome to the board. When everyone isn't being all easily offended, they are a good bunch of folks with a ton of knowledge. Rocky, in particular, is one of the nicest guys I've ever met. Like I said, he's insanely knowledgeable when it comes to 2-strokes (and Yamaha 600's, too!). Buy him a beer sometime and listen to his war stories. :beer:

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

See the thing is, the new guy did mess up by not chilling and seeing who was who before imparting his wealth of knowledge. It's a common mistake and he got the beatdown for it he deserved. It's over and now we move on. Welcome to the madness Ian. If you need anything for your 23 I'd suggest you talk to Rocky :)