1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SUV shopping... QX56 a total pile???

Discussion in 'General' started by Tristan, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

The wife has money burning a hole in her pocket, so we're in the market...
    My '06 Sienna is going to her son who just had his second kid.
    I'm getting the '06 LS430.
    The SUV will be her daily driver and my sometimes track hauler (with a hitch hauler for now and some kind of trailer in the future)
    We'll be buying used '08-'12 probably, under $18K OTD.
    We've driven an '11 T4R and '10-11 GX460. We were both surprised at what a dog the 4.0 in the Toyota was, and both agree that both are too small. She's 100% stuck on a V8.
    We both pretty much agree a Sequoia is what we want, either Limited or Platinum. Going to look at a couple tomorrow, but it seems that getting what we want may require looking in a 300 mile radius (I'm ok with that). The LX570 would be in the running but just out of our price range.
    I've always thought the QX56's were ugly and I'm leery of Nissan quality in general, but damn if they aren't cheap and plentiful and the specs are good. Should I bother looking at one? She hates on anything domestic after I had her drink the Lexus koolaid, so don't bother going that direction...

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Had one as a rental, drove well but damn is it ugly. Mileage sucks too but that's kind of a given.

3. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

They are super comfy. Powerful. THIRSTY. And while yes they have the terrible nissan build quailty, its the infinity version which has proven to be better in the long term. Overall they seem pretty decent.

BigBird likes this.
  4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

If I had to choose between the Infinissan and the Sequoia it would be the Toyota all damn day.....

969, cha0s#242 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

We had a 05, which looked better IMO, for over 100k miles with only normal maintenance. No problems at all, wife said best car she has ever owned.

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

The Toyota is damn thirsty too, and I've repeatedly warned her about that since she's the one that'll be driving it and the way she drives I expect about 13 MPG.
    If only I could convince her to tool around in a Transit Ecoboost...

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think the only real reason my Dad liked his Sequioa mileage is he went to it from a Durango :D

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

As a Titan owner, the QX is nothing but a fancy Titan anyway. So be prepared for brake rotors that warp every 20K miles and electrical gremlins that pop up on everything. Plus like the big guy said, it has to be one of, if not the, ugliest vehicle on the road.

On a plus side, as the owner of an 03 LS430, the 06 your buying is pretty much the pinnacle of what I humbly think is the finest vehicle in its class ever made. Yeah, I said it:D

BigBird likes this.
  9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Only way you are going to get decent mileage with V8 like performance in something that large is a Q7 TDI. Be ready for electrical / electronics issues, dealing with adding DEF and $1000 minimum anytime you so much as drive it into the dealer's service bay.

BigBird likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wonder what the new Expeditions get with the turbo 6.

11. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Paging @ineedanap

From what I've read they are great (comparatively) if your keep your foot from diving into the boost too often, but what's the fun in that?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, no point in power you don't use :D

13. I love the previous gen gx, current generation.... my wife had her heart set on one until she drove it, it was meh at best. The models you are looking at if they made them today I’d not have agreed, although I’m sure still caved into the wife getting a q7. The Audi is a vw and Lexus IS a Toyota if you know what I mean. Everything on a Toyota has a purpose, that usually comes at a cost of both having some of the fancy luxury crap you never use except for when your friends are in the car playing with shit after a dozen beers. I think the Lexus IS a damn good choice. We still have the 01 4Runner thr wife bought new, she’s been through 3 (maybe 4) other cars since she bought that and at 280k miles I’d still jump in and drive it across the country without thinking twice. I leave one of the boats hooked up to it and use it for Home Depot runs.

14. Not great if you even think of getting your foot into it, by that I mean compared to getting your foot into the 8.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um....huh?

So normal driving fast, it's worse mileage than the V8?

16. rd400racer

I just rented one for a trip from Louisville to Vermont and back. At fill up the range indicator said close to 600 miles to empty. I didn't actually track the mileage but guess that I got somewhere in the range of 24 on the highway. It was a superb machine but I couldn't imagine driving that beast every day. For a road trip though I want nothing less.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's not bad at all. Wish National had them, would be cool to try out.

18. rd400racer

Got mine from Enterprise. It was $800 for 9 days...thought that was a pretty good deal. Damn thing only had about 8K miles on it.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Eh, I need one as a free upgrade in Vegas or else I can't try it out :crackup:

I did get an F150 once, was truly surprised at the power it had.

rd400racer likes this.
  20. BigBird

BigBird blah

so how's the parking at Home Depot with the Boat?

bleacht likes this.