1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspension shop for converting 65cc minis

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by rice r0cket, Aug 5, 2020.

1. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Anyone come across a good one? I bought a KTM 65 SX that is going to be sacrificed for mini racing.

I asked my local shop for a quote, and they don't seem to be familiar with the concept and is just calling Racetech for everything without actually understanding it, and their prices are more expensive than shipping away like I did for my track bike.

Not that I suspect my setup will be much different from what Racetech would suggest, but it'd be nice to work with someone who might be able to tune to my feedback.

2. mino6466

mino6466 Well-Known Member

I don't know of ant specialty shops but you can always locate a comparable shock base on length and eyelet/clevis mount and spring/revalve.

3. mino6466

mino6466 Well-Known Member

For example. Your shock is 348mm. Same as a Yamaha trx850. You might be able to find more options by looking for a shock by length rather than brand.

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Where are you from?
    Thermos man is always a good place to start

StaccatoFan likes this.
  5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

6. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

What year KTM65? The front suspension has changed a lot over the years. The older bikes have no external adjustments but has rebound on one side and compression on the other. After that they had adjustments for both on each side.(These have kits that can be installed, K-tech and Andreani) The most resent bikes have one air fork and one steel spring bike. Also how heavy are you? These guys sell stiffer rear springs, https://dfaulknersprings.com/ I run the 400lbs spring rate in the stock dimensions. I either run two 0.36 in the front or 0.36(cannon racecraft) and a 0.50(pax racing). Just not sure what is in it right now. I weight 220lbs. Nihilo makes a over sized floating front brake kit for the 2009 and older. I run NSF rims on mine.

7. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

I never had my suspension revalved on mine. I put thicker fluid in the forks and just cranked my rear shock clickers in and everyone that rides my bike loves it. Getting the springs correct does most of the work. Make sure you seal up the hole in the bottom of the air box or it will drip fuel and oil on your rear tire.

8. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

@hrc_nick_11

I have an '08, which is non-adjustable and just has the air bleed screws on top. I saw a couple mentions of a Marzocchi "works kit" that would give it similar performance and adjustment to their off-the-shelf Shiver forks for a couple hundred bucks, but I'm guessing I'm 10 years late on that. Only options left are a few drop in cartridge kits, but I'm not ready to drop $1k in suspension on a mini.

I ended up going with PR2 Racing, they're dirt bike guys primarily, but he knew exactly what I was referring to and knew the specs off the top of his head. I found some fork springs on eBay made by Performance Spring, and he was able to order the appropriate rear from his catalog. I asked them to revalve if necessary once they had it all apart, but they're still waiting on parts. I'm guessing they will since I gave him the option to make more money...but they seemed like honest folks.