1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspension Question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kevin E., Sep 19, 2020.

1. Kevin E.

Kevin E. Well-Known Member

I know there are a ton of variables when talking suspension settings, but there are some general guides as well, so I am looking for some general guides. I took the bike to have the suspension freshened up and the tech, a very well known tech in So. Cal, did the work and told me the fork springs should be okay for me... I question his assumption so I am looking for some feedback. I am thinking he should have replaced the springs with something lighter, maybe in the .85 range plus or minus.
    Facts:
    I am a novice track rider, have not been on a track in 25+ years, so I will likely be somewhat slow, C group for sure to begin
    2003 SV650 with 06 GSXR 1000 front end
    Track only bike
    I have not taken it to the track yet, so no feed back on suspension feel
    it has a 1.0 and a .95 spring in the forks, tech said this was fine... I thought it was a bit strange
    I am about 165-170 full gear
    I understand that these springs will likely work fine, because I am going to be slow and that my skill will be a much bigger hinderance to speed than the bike and setup, but I also believe that things should be done properly the first time, especially if they are taking my money for doing it.
    Thanks for any feedback!

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Maybe he didn’t want to take any extra money from you without first sampling it. .95 and 1.0 sounds close to me.

I think my kid had .85 and probably only weighed 110-120 when he raced an SV, granted he had big track experience on RS125’s.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. Kevin E.

Kevin E. Well-Known Member

Thanks, I am certainly going to give it a go, which is the only way to truly find out.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you should probably work with someone you don't have to go behind their back and question on the internet. :D Or set it up yourself.
    The biggest thing to see if is you can grab those 1k binders like a man!!! :D

Kevin E. likes this.
  5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

A suspension refresh doesnt include new springs. So it sounds like you got what you paid for, and then some with the free spring recommendation.

Kevin E. likes this.