1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspension question

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by DirtTrackin221, Apr 27, 2017.

1. DirtTrackin221

DirtTrackin221 Well-Known Member

I bought a 2009 cbr 600 with an penske rear shock and gp front 25mm inserts valved and sprung for a 200lbs rider. I weigh in at 165.

I've raced before but it's been a long time. I'm flat tracking a lot this year and would like to take the cbr out to a few track days and maybe do a few novice races this year.

Should I just wait until I can get the suspension re valved and sprung for me or could I get by with some minor adjustments until I do a few track days and accumulate the rest of my gear for this year. I'm looking to get back into it 100% next year. Just not sure what to prioritize looking for thoughts and trying to learn. Thanks.

2. MotoGP1199

MotoGP1199 Well-Known Member

I like to do suspension first. See if you can get the sag set up properly and take it for a ride? Maybe soften up the compression/rebound a few clicks. The springs for a 200lb rider might work for you just fine. Some riders like stiffer springs and some like softer. The pros will change their springs out based on the track, so its not an exact science as far as spring rate per body weight.

3. DirtTrackin221

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll focus on getting the rest of the gear I will need before I worry about sending the suspension off. I'm getting close, just need some boots, gloves, back brace. Hopefully I can take it sometime in May and see just how it feels and go from there. I wasn't sure if I would be better off just getting the suspension done for my weight before I started riding it.

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

what are the actual springrates?

im 140lbs and raced my 09' CBR with a wide range of springs. .90 to .95 fork springs and 95 to 110 shock spring. some were better than others, but the bike wasnt ever unrideable.

5. DirtTrackin221

I'm not sure as to the actual spring rate on it, I just know he had it set up for his weight at 200lbs. I wasn't sure at 165 how far off base that might be. I'm going to get a few track days under my belt this year and maybe a race and then re do the suspension for my size and skill level in the off season. Pretty excited to get back on the track, the last time I raced was 2005. I was probably 190lbs at least then, I'm actually in better shape now than I ever have been. Some issues came up on my flat track bike that put another dent in my savings but I'm really hoping to be ready for the next novice school in June here. Thanks for the advice.

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

without knowing springrates, there's no way to tell how far off the base u might be. every tuner's "setup for 200lbs" can be different. id ask the seller for more info or maybe call the shop where they got the work done.

the faster u get, the more useless the term "setup for XX weight" becomes.

7. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Get all the gear first, back and chest protector included
    Back the pre-load off a bit and go ride.
    Sounds like the bike you have is already 10x better than most here started on
    If the bike is truley holding you back , then spend some money on dialing it in

8. DirtTrackin221

Really appreciate the advice. Pretty much validates what I was wanting to do. Now on to getting the rest of my gear together, and to get back on the track again. Thanks.