1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspension grease

Discussion in 'Tech' started by RIB333, May 9, 2020.

1. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Suspension gurus, I am planning to start doing some basic suspension work. I have watched some videos and done some reading. I see when changing seals "suspension grease" is used. Also I see it for sale by some of the suspension outfits. I would like to know what type of grease is it really? Traxxion sells a small container but if I could understand what type it is (Lithium based, teflon, silicone, whatever) instead of just suspension grease I'd be more comfortable, might already have it, and/or be able to get some at a better price.
    Thanks in advance for any info, input.

2. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

This doesn't directly answer the question, but you can use any high quality wheel bearing grease, or if you want to be picky get some Castrol Red Rubber grease.

Just use a little.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Ive always used belray waterproof
    https://www.belray.com/product/waterproof-grease/

most shops stock it. Works well. On needle or roller bearings... best to clean whatever lil grease is in there, prior to application, to get the best results.

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Grease for seals?

Grease for metal parts in forks and shocks?

Grease for the free piston?

Seal grease is best sourced from bicycle suppliers. Look at MTB stuff. It beeswax based and looks like Vaseline. Easily overused, you don’t need very much.

Other greases need to be compatible with the hydraulic oil in the component. Some manufacturer recommended ones are pricier than crack. Search Öhlins “white grease” for floating piston cylinders.

5. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Should have been more specific, grease for the seals at this point.
    Have the bearing stuff covered.
    Thanks for the help.

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Lol, I looked it up, wasn't disappointed! Crazy! Then again I just priced out some power steering fluid for a dodge electric/ hydro unit at 45$ a quart.

7. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Race Tech sells seal grease. It comes in a small container. I bought 2 several years ago and it will probably last me the rest of my life.

RIB333 likes this.
  8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I bought a little jar of this years ago and it's still got plenty in there. You don't need much for each application.

[​IMG]

RIB333 likes this.
  9. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

^^^Thanks. I was going that direction.