1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superstock Bike Comparison

Discussion in 'General' started by TX Joose, Jul 21, 2020.

1. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I've been doing some window shopping on Superstock bikes and wonder what some if you guys think as far as competitiveness and price. You can get a V4R with a pipe and flash for $40K. Graves will build you a sstk Zx10 for $35k. Can't remember if that's with data. A few places will build you a sstk R1 for around the same. I assume around the same for Suzuki and BMW since it looks to be around $20k you gotta put into it to make it top spec.

Have any of you ridden the V4 or V4R along with another good sstk machine to where you can draw comparisons? What do you think?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Graves: Does the $35K include the bike?

3. deathblow

deathblow Well-Known Member

I have both a V4R and a track only 2017 GSX-R1000. They both are fun, but the V4R is easier to ride, turns easier and has crazy, but smooth power.

FWIW, I ride Dunlop slicks on the Suzuki and the new Pirelli WSBK slick on the V4R. I've done about 5 trackdays on both bikes at Chuckwalla and WSIR on same day, alternating sessions to compare.

4. TX Joose

Yep. I think they have it at $15K for the bike and the rest is mods.

5. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Graves bikes are pretty sweet, but I might be biased. :D

cav115 and track wagon like this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I mean ANY of those bikes are making ridiculous power without any mods. A stock motor'd zx10 can make north of 200 at the tire on MA spec fuel.
    At that point you'd need a full time suspension tuner in your pit & a stack of tires to help get it sorted. Its amazing how lil changes in ride height affect the bike but also mind boggling how it just wants to pull the front wheel up.
    Wont even get into developing a proper TC map or any other data parameters...

418 and 5axis like this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Okay, if that bike can run and win on anything other then pirellis, I might look at that. I think the Kawasaki is way underrated. I’d take it over the other inlines.

I wouldn’t buy a lump of lead from chuckie for $10 without getting someone to confirm it wasn’t dogshit mixed with pot metal before I handed over the cash.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    track wagon likes this.
  8. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

A look at the Superstock MA grid tells the tale: the ZX is the bike to have. They're also the most prevalent bike on the club racing grids that I see. I had an opportunity to ride a proper Superstock ZX last weekend at Auto Club Speedway (that's been in a few MA rounds), and the bike was amazing. I couldn't believe how usable the power felt and how stable the bike felt overall. Wasn't my bike and I couldn't afford it if I threw it down the road, so I was taking it easy. Not that I'm that fast anyway, but the bike felt like it had so much margin and potential to work with. If I were in the market, that's the platform I'd start with. It's actually making me want to sell my ZX-6R, but starting from scratch on a new bike build (when I just finished this one) would suck.

Coincidentally, the owner of the Superstock ZX that I rode also has a V4R in street trim. I'll have to ask him to compare the 2 bikes (as a foundation) next time I see him. But, there's no doubt that the ZX-1OR is more of a 'known entity', and I imagine it would be infinitely easier to live with than the Duc. Setup, replacement parts, aftermarket availability, maintenance... I'd take the ZX 9.8 out of 10 times over the V4R.

Senna and track wagon like this.
  9. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I'm sure he is heartbroken Dave. Graves Motorsports (Chuck) took very good care of me for many years and I will always be appreciative. The bikes/parts they provided me were top notch and a huge part of what I was able to accomplish racing. I know lots of others who would say the same.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  10. TX Joose

I'd be really interested to hear his thoughts.

Zx10 or R1 seems like an obvious choice from the convenience and parts availability. There's something to be said on that. I heard doing electronics and strategies is a huge PITA on the Zx10 unless your name rhymes with Fandrew Bee and a select few others.

There is also the select few that seem to know how to get kawi to work on Dunlop.

11. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I own a 2017 ZX10r. I have only ridden that bike out of the ones mentioned. I feel as tho it is a great bike!! But, what helps it sell and why alot of people use it at the club level is the contingency is far above all the other manufacturers. I feel you could make any of the top bikes from each brand work. The AFM number one plate holder races a CBR1000rr and not the new new one. So its all pretty subjective. I love my ZX10 tho and will be back next season on it once I get back from Japan and it will have a few small upgrades!!

12. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, the one I rode had Dunlops, and it was awesome. I've been riding Pirellis for years and have historically not liked Dunlops, but this particular bike was setup super well and felt great with them.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There ya' go, wsmc42 loves Graves, I don't. We don't agree and we don't have to.

Gorilla George, TurboBlew and wsmc42 like this.
  14. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Well said. I think we are both old enough to remember when you could disagree with someone and not go after them with pitchforks and 3' screwdrivers. Have a good day.

sdiver, Gorilla George and Bruce like this.
  15. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I've never ridden anything other than a 600cc bike, but it seems to me that the ZX10R seems to be the move. The contingency money is really nice for a club level. Seems like you could ALMOST race for free if you had a tire sponsor as well, and could bring home the wins.

I think the BMW is also a really solid choice based on contingency money and spec sheets.. But again, I've never ridden a 1000, and I'm not even very good at riding a 600.. so my opinion is almost completely weightless. lol

16. TurboBlew

haha... the reality of getting to the "race for free" level is creative accounting. WERA still charges pros and amatuers to race unless you bought the org. Then theres the travel, toyhauler, loud assed genny, and 10s of thousands worth of accessories & tooling to chase that free money. Lets not forget the full time support crew.

5axis likes this.
  17. Trainwreck

hence "ALMOST" ;)

Also Stefano Mesa uses a 10 year old truck, a medium sized enclosed trailer and brings his parents as crew.. Thats it. He seems to be doing OK. especially at the club levels. I'm assuming Pirelli hooks him up too.

5axis and proprocket28 like this.
  18. TurboBlew

add up all the race fees stefano has paid over the years vs contingency or tire discounts... the number would still be in the red. And he can ride at a podium pace.

19. Trainwreck

Not the point of this post at all. I understand accounting sir...

By your math I could easily extrapolate your underlying factors and figure out that most of us suck at life.. whats the point of going to work if you've had to buy a car to get there, pay for schooling, for the skills, pay for a place to live just to even sleep so you can be rested up for work.. 52 weeks of the year doesn't pay my house off.. so i may as well just fuckin quit.

The point of my post was that contingency makes it easier... not completely free... "ALMOST"... if you were budget savvy and a damn good racer, you could make a lot of shit work for you.

20. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

The Graves ZX10 is a solid package. Plus, it comes with technical support to help you get the bike dialed in.