1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SuperMoto Tires

Discussion in 'Tech' started by E Reed, Jun 7, 2019.

1. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

150/60 rears, 120/70 fronts. They fit a KTM Supermoto.

E Reed likes this.
  2. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

I'll contact you tomorrow.

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

So what makes it a supermoto tire?

4. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It's the proper size for Supermoto wheels, and it's very soft. 0197 or 0129 compounds. Neither of these would last very long on a lightweight road racer.

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pikes Peak 2019 Chris Fillmore & a KTM450 with Metzeler SM tires goes up the mountain and finishes in 10:20 and that is FAST for a single!

8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

And holy shit Chris finished 5th O/A in the bike group, damn that's fast!

9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

What did you use for a front caliper set up?

10. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

We cover the Southeast races for Bridgestone and Dunlop. I spent a little time in an SM bike around here. I even have a WERA SM championship, but that's a story for another day.

Reach out to us, and we'll be glad to help.

E Reed likes this.
  11. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

I bought a used Brembo 4 piston that came off of a 07 KTM 690SM. I milled my own relocation bracket. Also had to make a spacer to bring the rotor out some so that the caliper wouldn't hit the spokes.

Did 2 days at the Corvette track in Bowling Green, KY this past weekend. The brakes are awesome.

20190626_195705.jpg received_689352064850153.jpeg

JBall and noles19 like this.
  12. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Using a master cylinder off of a first gen R6 as well.

13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Nice bracket! to me, the forks definitely look long, since you lowered the rear already you've kinda gone backwards of whats normal, normally people start with the forks (lower and revalve) and lower the rear slightly.
    How much lower is the rear?

14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Nice Bracket...

E Reed likes this.
  15. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Thanks! Well, my big butt is sitting on it, so it may look a little un-biased... I put a new link in the back that claimed to lower it .5". I didn't actually take a before and after measurement though. I have the forks raised up in the triples 20mm. Without me on it, it sit's pretty level. I'm not used to working with MX suspension. It has dual chamber forks. I did rebuild them with all new bushings, o-rings, seals and 30mm of spring preload spacers. I replaced the plastic "free piston" with an open aluminum type as well. A new valve kit is next on the list. It turned in decent this weekend, but I thought about lowering the front even more. I had a thought today of removing the fork legs and getting the fork tubes cut shorter. Is that how people normally shorten the forks? I've never removed a fork leg from a tube before.

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

You shorten the forks by putting spacers in the cartridge to prevent it from fully extending. I can't give more details than that 'cause I don't dabble in bouncy bits and leave that to the experts. :D

noles19 and E Reed like this.
  17. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Upon a quick youtube search, is it as simple as getting shorter springs? I already have 30mm of preload spacers in there.

18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Throw a GSXR front end on and just give me that caliper bracket!:D

E Reed likes this.
  19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

haha i understand you're sitting on it. mx suspension is long and has way more travel than you need so it's normal to shorten the forks 1-2 inches as well as stiffer springs.
    it's really worth it to spend the money and have the forks shortened and revalved for supermoto by some like thermos man, or dave at fbi etc
    Also, a common thing that catches people out while riding a supermoto bike is making sure they are far enough forward on the bike, getting as far forward as possible will dramatically help front end feel, and help you stand the bike up on exit.

E Reed likes this.
  20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

:Poke:And actually using supermoto tires and not something that's primarily designed for roadracing applications