1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superbike School vs. Yamaha Champions Riding School

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Schwiz, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Gravisman

Gravisman Well-Known Member

Basically agree with what’s been said, but I think YCRS is plenty good/friendly for new riders - some of the posts have made it seem only good for advanced students. When I went there the first time I got sorted into the slow group and several of the riders there were truly slow - like slow street pace slow. They were treated with plenty of dignity and learned a lot, I think.

For me CSS did a better job of explaining some of the science of riding, and that helped my understanding of many fundamentals tremendously. Conversely, YCRS is really effective at making people faster, in large part because of their focus on braking skills, which are so so important.

I’ve been to CSS enough that I’ve learned the real value comes when you start doing level 4, which is personalized training. When you’re no longer doing a curriculum and working with coaches specifically assigning drills to improve your riding, it’s a big value add. The biggest thing I look for in coaching these days is for someone who can tell me the next biggest thing I need to improve, and CSS level 4 for do that for you. I know YCRS has a form a personalized training which I haven’t gotten to yet, but it’s in my plans. I’ll be doing my second go-round of YCRS next month.

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Not to throw a curve ball into this discussion about the 2 schools, but another REALLY good school I've done is the NJMiniGP 3 day camp at NJMP.

It's 2 days of on track and skid pad drills and instruction, then the 3rd day is an open practice day. They teach similar concepts to YCRS, but on smaller bikes,
    less speed, and break it down so kids can understand it.

Want to learn good body position at slower speeds with throttle control? A Circle Drill around a single cone on a CRF110 is harder than one thinks. Damned kids
    make it look effortless.

I've also done YCRS with Nick and Ken and $cott Ru$$ell was our Celebrity Guest Instructor. Both helped my riding tremendously.

team1887 likes this.
  3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

They used to do those miniGP demos at the MA races at NJMP where those little kids would just drive me bonkers. Firstly, because of their crazy throttle control and body positioning; secondly, because I got dizzy watching them.

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I did the camp with my son in like 2018...I got like 2 circles and almost took out a coach. I got dizzy and it was over.

Those MiniGP demos is what got me sucked into this MiniGP mess in the first damned place! LOL

Alex saw the kids on their 50s and it was all over for me from there.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  5. cxd10

cxd10 Well-Known Member

Im a big advocate of CSS because how much time they spend on vision. Where to look what to look for and why. Having said that, ill say Yamaha Champ School is my next one. Inatch can articulate all the things you deal with in writing, imagine what he can do watching you. Im a fan. Also, look at American Supercamps. Can not recommend them enough