1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super Cool RD350

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by SpeedyE, Dec 9, 2019.

1. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

2. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

Beautiful bike, lots of custom work. Definitely an RZ, not an RD. I don't know where one tiny flashlight to the front, with no other lights, signals, or mirrors counts as "street legal"! :Poke:

SpeedyE and ducnut like this.
  3. willi777

willi777 Member

One sweet ride those RZ's and i'm all for custom work, but the weight bias is out of whack, shifted too far to the rear- the seat is practically over the rear wheel.

SpeedyE likes this.
  4. DonTZ125

Take a look again at a full-on race bike - you'll very often see the seat back well over the rear wheel.

5. willi777

willi777 Member

Yes, but how do you keep the front wheel on the ground when you're sitting over the rear wheel? The RZ is one of the most wheelie-happy bikes i've ever ridden, had to climb on the tank trying to keep any weight on the front end when accelerating... maybe the heavier front end helps in that regard, but moving weight back seems like she'd just wheelie alot easier?

6. willi777

willi777 Member

Looking at your avatar, you seem to be pretty far back on the bike Don, what is it you are riding? My track experience is slim, (on a stock EX-500- so not a race bike at all) and riding an RZ350 was back in the 80's on the street, so my recollection could be dimmed, but the front end was airborne as soon as it came on the pipe. I would always lean into it trying to keep the front end down, but it was futile...which is what made them such a blast! I guess with more track time i'd appreciate the more rearward weight bias, haven't raced since Bridgehampton was still a track, not a golf course- is 52 with minimal insurance too old to get back out there?

7. DonTZ125

8. craig641

craig641 Well-Known Member

I'm 60 and far from the oldest rider out there. 52 is definitely not too old.

9. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

Pretty tatty bike for $10k. Probably worth $5k tops.

10. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

And I am older than Craig.
    Craig,
    Your DT2 is still in the garage and I haven't stolen any parts off it, yet.

SpeedyE likes this.
  11. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

My RZ is very similar to this, and I actually have more of problem keeping the back wheel down under heavy braking than I do keeping the front down. If you are keeping the bike between 8K and 10K rpm wheelies are not that bad. The only reason these bikes feel violent is if you drop out of the power band mid corner. They are incredibly rewarding, and super fun/easy to ride once you figure out how to keep it in the power. The hard part is figuring out how to make sure you are over 8k rpm at the slowest point of the corner.

SpeedyE likes this.
  12. craig641

craig641 Well-Known Member

The world's longest "pick this up and hold on to it until I can get it from you" bike buying deal. I'm still hoping to pick that up and I do plan to get to some AHRMA races in the Midwest so there's hope. However if you get a chance to sell it or you're tired of it being in your garage or even if you need parts go right ahead.