1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sucks if you live in Cali.. RIP Internal Combustion

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by rcarson15, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Wut?? Short days here? Sure. Not sunny?? Wrong.

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Check the angle of inclination between summer and winter?

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

4. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I've lived here for 37 years now and very much disagree. Even your own links show it's cloudy just about 50% of the time, on average. The number of times I've gotten sunburnt while ice fishing is insane.

This reminds me of a class in college. There was a debate one day on the use of solar energy and this girl spouts off about how we can't use it in WI because the snow reflects the sun back out. I asked why she doesn't just flip the panels upside down and catch the rays on the way back out. She looked at me like I was the smartest man alive. It was scary.

auminer likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can get burnt with clouds....

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Look at the winter data for clouds. It is much closer to 60% which is well above the national average. That is cloudy, but if you never lived anywhere sunnier you probably just don't realize it. The 40% of the time that the sun is out, the snow reflecting the sun will add to sunburn risk. No different than when fishing on a boat and the sun reflecting off the water.

7. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

No shit ... it's the UV rays that burn you. And none of that means solar isn't feasible here. I guess I view "most of the time" as 80%+. But if we're going to split hairs and play semantics, which I know this group will ... you win. During 4.2 months of the year, there is at least partial cloud cover here just under 60% of the time, on average.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Feasible or not is not the issue, you can install panels anywhere the sun shines. Cloud cover has an impact on the panel output and the payback on the initial investment. It is simple economics.

VFR#52 likes this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Meh. Been waiting for that ting to pop for most of my life and no luck yet.

VFR#52 likes this.
  11. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah it could blow much faster like in 200,000 years Vs. 1,000,000 years.

Remain calm. Don't panic. :crackup: LOL.

crashman and VFR#52 like this.
  12. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Don't panic?!?! RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!! :D

VFR#52 and G 97 like this.
  13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Fascinating info about that area they have found in the past 10 years or so, I could waste a day or three reading all of it.

VFR#52 and G 97 like this.
  14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:It is amazing how ignorant most people are to geology but they will panic at any chicken little headline. Geologists consider accuracy to be a 10,000 year window and even the experts do not have a solid grasp of the processes involved.
    Not to mention there is fuck all we can do about it and it could pop any time between tomorrow and a million years from now. It is not even worth worrying about.

VFR#52 likes this.
  15. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

ill just send my wife up there. she loves popping zits and squeezing the gunk out. she will have this planet sorted in no time. :D

16. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Fuck. I just spent my life savings on weed since I thought I would not need the cash due to the "impending" eruption. Oh well, my kid didn't really need college.

TurboBlew and crashman like this.
  17. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Shell is an energy company. They like to make money and they like good PR.

crashman likes this.
  19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The CA wildfires might have helped your investment value.

20. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1