1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subconscious

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jan 8, 2020.

1. I remember spending some time studying sleep in one of my college classes, and I know the mind doesn't know the difference between being asleep or awake. I remember reading a study about 300 basketball players split into 3 groups.

Group 1 - Practiced shooting free throws for 2hrs every day for a month.
    Group 2 - Imagined shooting (and making) free throws for 2hrs every day for a month.
    Group 3 - Did fuckall.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but the group who practiced improved something like 8%, the group who did fuckall, stayed the same. But the group that just imagined making free throws every day, improved something like 3-4%.

So I know the subconscious mind can have an affect on the body. But the free throw thing can be attributed to routines, confidence, etc. That doesn't really explain what happened to me last night.

I had a dream that I was in a race where we had to walk/jog/run (go as fast as you can) up and down a football field, holding a 100lb dumbbell in each hand.

When I woke up, my Traps were super sore (for the non-lifters, the "Traps" is short for Trapezius muscles, the ones on top of your neck that you use to shrug your shoulders :D). I haven't done Traps in 4 days, and was scheduled to do them again this morning, but I couldn't.

I don't mean they had a crick in them like I had laid funny or slept wrong. I mean they were truly sore, the entire muscle full of lactic acid, both sides, as if I had done a monster Trap workout the day before.

How is that possible?

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

“Sleep. It's like being awake, but it feels good.”
    :crackup:

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I'd guess you were beating off like a Rhesus monkey in your sleep.

It's just a working theory; were you incredibly sticky when you woke up?

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Upright rows or power cleans while sleeping????:D

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

People have physical reactions to dreams. We’ve all had the highside dream and kicked ourselves awake right? You were probably flexing while you were sleeping. REM sleep tends to happen right before waking and is also when you dream.

I train BJJ daily, and have dreams about rolling. My girlfriend woke me up one night angry because she tried to cuddle and I grabbed her wrist really hard. Evidently I thought she was going for an underhook...

*This post also serves as my alibi if I ever strangle her.

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I recently stopped taking a medicine that screwed with my sleeping. I've been having these vivid dreams, like 3 months of catching up all at once. I woke up covered in sweat...must mean the brain can do what ever it wants when you're not in control.

8. That’s the only thing that makes sense to me. I must have been flexing/tightening my traps the whole time I was “racing” in my dream.

9. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but did you win?

SpeedyE, scottn and auminer like this.
  10. Of course. :D

beac83 and cav115 like this.
  11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Blah blah blah, fuckall, blah blah blah.

:D

12. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Twilight.jpg

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. Phl218

Phl218 .

read up on LUCID DREAMING.

get ready for a wild ride. you will meet all the donkeys and dragons

Gorilla George likes this.
  14. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

you were 'walking in your sleep'

15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Your head was pressed up against the headboard and you made your neck sore.

16. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Active rest. 50% myth, 50% fact, 100% results.

17. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

What color were the rims?

White I hope. :D

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

Sounds like you slept through the class. :Poke::D

badmoon692008 and SpeedyE like this.
  19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I stopped reading at basketball. Does it get interesting later on?

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

She's beating you in your sleep. :D