1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

street into track race conversion

Discussion in 'Other' started by notsure55, Jul 14, 2015.

1. notsure55

notsure55 Member

to turn a street 600r or 1000r type sport bike into a good track race bike...
    what all is involved?
    cost estimate?
    who all can offer such service?
    take away all the street and make it all race.
    or what all is most important,such as do at least this and that to be happy on track.basics... too all the cool stuff like slipper clutch and quarter turn throttle and on and on.
    whats practical for pushing hard on track days?
    around a 2005-2009 model bike range for my budget.
    thanks for any advise on this.

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

All that's required is basic tech work: Remove / unplug lights, ditch mirrors, kick stand, passenger pegs, etc. Then safety wire. Finally, put on race legal numbers.

If you want to spend money, put it into getting the suspension setup for you.

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

After getting the suspension set up, start putting money into things that will make your bike cheaper and easier to repair when you crash it. A couple of examples are aftermarket clip-ons (new tubes are like $10-$15), track bodywork that can be repaired (stock plastics usually shatter). Keep in mind that really cheap bodywork usually isn't much better at being repairable.

Also safety items like a brake level guard can be a good idea.

4. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

That's a really broad question to answer!

There are certain things that are the bare minimum to make turn a sport bike into a decent track bike but what exactly you consider a "good race bike" will affect the end result. It could be a couple thousand bucks worth of parts, or $20G.....

Bare minimum:
    Track bodywork
    Suspension upgrades (better shock and fork internals)
    Rearsets
    Clipons

5. notsure55

notsure55 Member

thanks for helpful comments.
    ive had probly four sportbike bikes over the years all purchased to turn into race track bike. but no support around me on this and fear of being turned away when I show up at track made me end up reselling them as is, each time.
    I want to enjoy the mid ohio track,it is closest to me.
    im older and don't keep up with the kids info.I just found out theres no ama or superbike race at mid ohio anymore. I kept woundering why dirt track was all the ama you tube sight was showing.
    this reminds me of the days I raced troy ohio mx,my favorite track. and they closed that done. when I was out of the sport for awhile.i raced it in the early 90s.
    thanks later.

6. ton

ton Arf!

aside from the friendly folks here at WERA that will help you get racing if that's the direction you wish to go, the primary trackday provider in your area (other than Mid-Ohio, itself) is sportbiketracktime. get in touch with them on their forum and i know people will help you get started. (there are plenty of "older" riders, too) i know there are a bunch of folks in Ohio that routinely ride with them and race WERA. Also, post in the new racers info sub-forum here, as that will get your posts seen by more people.

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

hop on http://ohioriders.net to get hooked up with local track guys.

There's a fair bit of bullshit (like all forums), but it's a good group, and you're likely to see a few of them at Mid Ohio relatively frequently. I have found that regardless of how people present themselves online, they are typically pretty cool when you meet them face-to-face at the track.