1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange AMA Auto Renewal Quirk? Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'General' started by t500racer, Mar 17, 2017.

1. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Long story short, I am an AMA member, last April (2016) I enrolled in autopay with my bank card to get the free roadside assistance.

Fast forward to October 2016, the Visa bank card along with thousands of others somehow becomes compromised, so the bank cancels the card. I am issued a new one with an entirely different number. No fraudulent charges ever, no problems.

I was just thinking the other day I needed to call the AMA to update the card or it won't work. Lo and behold I get an email yesterday from the AMA telling me they are going to renew my membership soon using the card WITH THE LAST FOUR DIGITS OF THE NEW CARD!

I never called the AMA to update this info, I spoke to my bank who told me they would never give out this information to anyone. A call to the AMA reveals that they have not spoken to me since last year, she did confirm the last four digits and the expiration date, which jive with my new card, but cannot tell me how they got it.

So I am sitting here scratching my head wondering how they got this information if I didn't give it to them. Anyone got any ideas?

2. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You sure they're different than the old card?

4. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty certain the same thing happened to me a few years ago.

5. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

VISA has an automatic update service when cards are replaced under certain scenarios. It updates merchants that have a recurring charge set up on the card. The people you spoke with at both ends probably don't have enough access to know how that system works. It happens all the time, and isn't a big deal. If you cancel your card because of a disputed charge, there is usually an option to stop the automatic update when your bank reissues the card.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good point - I had a Visa replaced recently and they asked if I wanted them to update the auto pays or if I wanted to do it myself.

7. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

I actually had some fraud on the card I used for AMA last year. I got the same email about renewal but it has the old card info. Funny thing is there is no way to update that info online so I guess I have to call?

8. t500racer

Yes. completely different. Not even close.

9. t500racer

This has to be what happened. Thank you. I thought I was losing my mind.