1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage of a set of slicks on the bike

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by ktm162, Jul 20, 2017.

1. ktm162

ktm162 Well-Known Member

Looking for informational what do you think store the bike for six months with hair or without air in the tires they're slick's with one day on them

2. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Don't know why you would let the air out. Just put it on stands. 6 months is basically the winter break for us.

cajun636 likes this.
  3. KevinT707

KevinT707 Well-Known Member

You're overthinking it. What will air do to a tire anyway?

Like the other guy said, put pressure off the tires by leaving it on stands.

4. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yep on stands is what I would do

SundaySocial and JBall like this.
  5. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

you can't take all the air out of the tire unless you plan on vacuuming it lol. If you really wanted to get conservative, fill the tire with nitrogen only as it will not expand/contract with temperature change as much as 'air' and will therefore not be as likely to form moisture on the inside of the tire. If the bike is stored in a temperature/climate controlled area, this isn't an issue.

6. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

As Cajun636 - because he lives where it is hot all the time - (and apparently nizmo) cannot tell you, storage in temperature controlled areas is not really a concern either. I've always had bikes in unheated garages over the winter, and never had issues with tires (even race tires) or the bikes themselves come spring time. We are in Ohio, but I know people from places where it is REALLY cold, and the same is true.

7. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

I think KTM162 is asking is about the 'gassing off' process, and what actions will best maintain his tires.
    Reduced air pressure for long term storage will reduce the rate of 'gas off', because of reduced tension in the carcass.
    Professional tire techs use a Durometer to determine the RELATIVE hardness (before and after).
    Storing it on stands ensures it does not have a storage 'dent'. Same compliance all the way around is nice...
    Some brands of competition tires come wrapped in plastic, which is advertised as reducing exposure to ozone, and UV. My perspective there is IF the factory spends money on it, there is probably something to it. YMMV

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Your going to ruin them... I will PM you my address for recycling purposes...:beer:

9. Mran556

Mran556 Well-Known Member

I bring my rims inside, no way freezing and thawing for six months is good for them. Id imagine very cold temperatures and wild fluctuations aren't good.

10. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Check your reading comprehension Joe, he asked about storing them with "hair". All the cool racers do it now, better than nitrogen I hear...

V5 Racer, jschuster2 and JBall like this.
  11. Phl218

Phl218 .

I always used plastic wrap. At least a good placebo

12. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I've got a set of tires on my bike now that are pretty much done...and I'm pretty much done for the season, so they'll stay on the bike over the winter/off season so I can
    roll the bike around in the garage if needed (It's on the Bursig now).

My new tires to start next season are downstairs inside tucked in the basement.

13. FXCLM5

FXCLM5 Well-Known Member

hehehe west coast season doesnt end till Nov and picks right back up in Feb hehehhehehehe

14. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I had a new slick, mounted, in my rafter (which is in the unheated garage) for 3 Canadian winters. Put it on and was just as fast as on a brand new tire. She spun quite a bit but I think that was partially due to it being an old compound. You could really square up the corners lol.