1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stolen Bike / Home owners Ins question

Discussion in 'General' started by f4idrew, Nov 22, 2010.

1. f4idrew

f4idrew #800

So Katie's MTB got stolen from my garage last week. Its a $900 bike.. naturally we are pissed.

I currently rent a room in a house (temp situation). The woman that owns the house lives there as well.. I keep my stuff in the garage.

Should her homeowners insurance cover the theft? I have told her I am with holding rent until she files with her ins company for the theft.

State troopers came out and fingerprinted helmet that was on the bike when it was stolen. Have a case # and everything.

Any experience with this and home owners ins?

2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Her homeowners insurance will tell her that you have to have renter's insurance to cover any loses. Problem is unless she informed her insurance that she was housing a tenant, it may void her current policy.

3. bird_dog0347

bird_dog0347 Major League Infidel

If you own the home, your HOI will cover... Since you are renting, you would have needed renter's insurance, no dice man, sorry for the stolen bike!

4. f4idrew

f4idrew #800

Question then.. lets say I own the home and my friend brings his bike over. It gets stolen, is that covered?

Shitty situation for sure. Im pretty sure its the HO's kids friends that took it but cant prove it.

5. slow honda

slow honda Well-Known Member

Where does the kid live? I'd be sure to give that info to the cops. Unfortunately it's probably a low priority to them. Sorry to hear and hope you get it back

6. f4idrew

f4idrew #800

Already shared all names and got info on kids address's form HO. Trooper visited a few of them but nothing.

Thanks Dave.. looks like you guys had fun this weekend.. video evidence..not such a good idea.. lol

7. slow honda

slow honda Well-Known Member

Hahhaaa, yeah we seriously need to ban the video from Kub's parties. What happeens at Kub's stay's at Kub's

8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

No. It's the proprtey owners responsibility to secure the property. Unless he can somehow prove that the friend was negligent, but that's a stretch on a bicycle.

9. f4idrew

f4idrew #800

Bummer.. thing is it was in my locked (to my knowledge) garage. And I just happened to unhook the cable lock I have around everything to load my 450. Forgot to lock the cable when I left.

Im ready to kill some kids. Next time I see them smoking pot in the backyard the 5.0 is going to "randomly" show up.

10. f4idrew

f4idrew #800

The vid of chris jumping the scooter over Jiggy is priceless. :crackup:

11. Vinny337

Vinny337 Vin is in...Beastmode!

+1 that is the case when renting.

12. Vinny337

I think it's time for some street justice...

13. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Ok, you lead the way :Poke:

14. Vinny337

You live closer than me...

15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

But you came up with the plan.

16. SPATT

SPATT In a gravel pit near you

I was typing something very similar

17. stan.riner

stan.riner Well-Known Member

Offer $ to one of them to get it back.

18. f4idrew

f4idrew #800

Actually thats a good idea! May be the cheapest route at this point.

19. uswjmc22

uswjmc22 Obfusc8

The terms of the policy in each state, and for each company can differ.
    You may want to give some thought to a renter's policy to have any chance of getting a friend's bike covered while on the premises. In my state (Ohio)
    my policy covers property of a 'guest' while the property is 'in the residence.' So in September I hosted a group of friends who were doing Nelsons with WERA. If my neighbor's kids get into the garage (attached) and take their stuff, there's a chance I could get coverage for them under my renters policy. Unlikely scenario? Yes. However, my friends' own renters or homeowners policies would always be primary and mine secondary. And yep, my rate will get jacked to the moon when the policy renews in the spring.
    Your landlord's policy, whether it's a real landlord policy or owner-occupied, would not likely cover property of a tenant or a tenant's guest. If he/she turns in the claim at all, she's likely to get a neat and tidy denial letter.
    Good luck.
    BTW I like the idea of telling those junior stoners / aspiring petty thieves/burglars you're offering a cash reward. Watch how the bike magically shows up a day or 2 later. Then call the cops before your temper gets the better of you.
    Don't forget to check local pawn shops. You can't smoke a bike.