1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still spending monies on Hawk products!

Discussion in 'General' started by Hawk518, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Two of the Hawks are holding steady at 90% complete.
    I have not ridden much in years; nor progress efforts much.
    But I seem to spend monies here and there on Hawk products.

The Hawk is the only bike that I think about when I am not preoccupied with making a go at this thing called life.

I guess I buy pieces (work of art) to ensure the artisans are still around when I decide to carry out the remaining 10%.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The Hawk was one of the best bikes Honder did even if it is a complete money suck. Great platform to just tweak and turn into exactly what you want.

Hawk518 likes this.
  3. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

And you can make it look like an rc 30 without an rc 30 price tag.Never rode one,but they look cool enough

4. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

To some extent the RC30 look/possibility was the genesis of the love affair but that is such a limitation on what the Hawk can be today.
    It does not even register anymore as a project/"look" for me.
    However, one cannot go wrong with the RC30 replica.
    I had a few, myself. Ultimately, transitioned to Rc45 Suzuka front (still a favorite).

I have a Cafe racer look going as my new ride but I may replace drop bars with SM setup.

5. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

There were 2 Hawks at the AHRMA Roebling round in the new Next Gen LWT Class. It was cool to see them at the track. They are sweet bikes. If I didn't have such a two stroke addiction, I would be building one of those instead of an RZ for that class.

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I raced an RZ and an FZR400 in WERA's version of that class and the Hawks always destroyed me. I've always wanted to race one myself but it just never happened.

7. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

The Hawk was my first real race bike in '96 after a couple weekends in '95 on a Seca II. Absolutely loved that bike and wish I had not sold it.

8. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

I have only ridden a stock street hawk. I imagine them as a slightly under powered but more nimble SV650. But I have heard a Hawk with a true super bike motor can make some great HP as well.

rd400racer likes this.
  9. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

This thread had been up 3 hours now... Where the F&%@! is Blashfield? :D

10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I always thought the Hawk was unfair competition against the FZR 400. They make about the same HP, but the torque the 250cc advantage gives the Hawk is just too important, especially on tight tracks.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The one thing about the hawk that was always an issue when throwing cubic dollars at it was the rear wheel. About all you could do to get a decent tire on the rear was to send it off to Kosman and have them widen it just a hair.

12. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I know where there is a really NICE, Blue one sitting in a ChickenHouse in N GA.
    Has about 20k on the clock... really needs a new owner..and a carb cleaning.

83BSA likes this.
  13. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

What isn't in a ChickenHouse in North Georgia? I think if someone dug around in the back, they would probably find Jimmy Hoffa and the Ark of the Covenant.

Britt likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The FZR is always going to be faster at the same build level. There's a reason I gave the Hawks more displacement - granted had to do that for the FZR as well as time went on.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've seen Hoffas car parked in one of them :D

Britt likes this.
  16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Top speed, maybe. But you can't argue with physics and torque will always be a function of displacement.

17. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I don't remember having any problems getting a good rear tire but I do remember the front wheel as being a problem. I know a bunch of guys who had the front wheel widened by Kosman. I went the easy way and just slapped on a F2 front end and called it a day.

18. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

The generation of Hawk enthusiasts has moved on. There are a few left that still know the the potential of it, though.
    The current generation of racers can’t comprehend what the diverse twins classes used to be like, so there’s no use in talking about it anymore to the general public.
    I never had a problem with an FZR -400, except Jason clay’s, which turned out to be a 600. I still beat him a few times.

19. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Technomagnesio made a 5.25” rear wheel.
    160 slicks fit perfectly.

20. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member