1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sterling thread

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sheepofblue, Apr 28, 2014.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

You asked for it....

Personally I never watch nor play basketball, the game is lost on me. However to each their own and I did hear the fiasco though did not even know which team he owned nor what was said. So I went and found it...

The thing seems bizarre to be honest. Supposedly there is tape yet he said it to his girl friend who is part black :crackup: Sounds like one confuse mofo to me (though she looks smokin' hot and should replace him if that is how he thinks)

Then there is the follow up from another genius that thinks the answer to racism is more racism
    http://nypost.com/2014/04/27/knicks-great-larry-johnson-calls-for-all-black-league/

The sad part is I doubt either is a fool that made a mistake rather just scum.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Don't care. He's a grown man, entitled to his beliefs/views. It's not like he's refusing to hire people because of their race. People need to keep their noses out of other peoples personal business.

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

LOL. Nice view. You can't make racist comments and not expect there to be a blow up - especially when the league is 85% black. He has a history of these types of actions over the years as well. Repeat-offender.

He should be fined (not that it'll matter, he has more money than God), suspended indefinitely and I'm pretty sure the league/other owners are trying to find a way to get him out of the league entirely.

4. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Why? Other than bad PR, what has he done that was illegal or against league rules? If people have a problem with it, they won't buy tickets to the games, players won't sign contracts with/play for him, etc.

Lots of people hate people of other races, women/men, democrats/republicans, etc and they say all kinds of things bad against them IN THEIR PERSONAL BUSINESS.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I just want to go on record that he doesn't give an eff about instantgram or anything else.
    This is kinda like the Paula Deen thing. Find it amusing the press has to go ask the King what he thinks. :rolleyes:

7. TurboBlew

So you're comfortable with it because he has disposable income?
    I hate when the press overlooks the fact that Ms 1/2 & 1/2 is free & clear to saddle up to Daddy Warbucks as if. She has her bread buttered on all 6 sides and decides to record the sillyness? :rolleyes:

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

No, I'm not comfortable with it because of that. The NBA can make it the highest fine in history - $5 million, and it won't put a dent in what Sterling is worth. My point is, a fine won't do anything. Making him sell the team? Heck, that won't either. He'll sell it for fair value and make a profit off it. Again, how do you penalize an NBA owner?

It is funny. He must have done something to her. From some reports, he bought her like 6 cars. And I thought he had a wife?

9. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

10. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

I don't agree with what he said but I'll defend to the death his right to say it. As long as he's willing to accept the consequences that go along with it. The NBA giving him a fine is laughable. Let the free market punish him.

11. TurboBlew

Its not like he stood up at an NBA event and did this or even held a press conference.
    This situation is one of those tests of the exercise of "Free Speech". :Poke:

12. TurboBlew

What do you want to bet Congress gets involved...lol.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It isn't like this was secret. Elgin Baylor sued him years ago for racism, about the time the LA chapter of the NAACP gave him a lifetime achievement award.

14. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

I fail to see where an individuals personal preference in a private conversation, in which he said "black" vice a derogatory term makes him a racist. Purely manufactured rage.

Seriously, how many black or Asian families have had members tell their sons or daughters not to come home with a Cracker? Yet, somehow, that is not racist.

15. G.Irish

G.Irish Well-Known Member

An NBA team is a franchise. If you own a NBA franchise and you do or say things detrimental to the sport, you may find yourself getting forced out as an owner. I don't know what options the commissioner has at his disposal but his predecessor certainly has forced owners out before (not for anything like this).

The NBA has built a huge following domestically and internationally and having a scandal like this pop up at playoffs time is a big black eye for the sport. I wouldn't be surprised if the owners and the league executives drop the hammer on him because it's bringing significant negative attention to the sport at the worst time.

Even if Sterling doesn't somehow get forced out by the powers that be, he's gonna find it really hard to hire coaches or re-sign players in the future so he may end up selling anyway. I just hope it results in Seattle getting a team again.

16. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Who says that isn't racist?

17. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Really? Who told you it's not?

Purely manufactured bs.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more