1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

static electricity and coffee grinder

Discussion in 'General' started by G 97, Nov 19, 2017.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

Does anyone else who uses a burr grinder have issues with static electricity and flying coffee grounds sticking to coffee maker and counter making a mess.
    First world problem is ruining my mornings.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

It's your corduroys.

SnacktimeKC and In Your Corner like this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Cockroaches don't like coffee. Consider it a blessing. :D
    And, uh, <ahem> why complicate things? Those burr grinders look like the inspiration for a Stephen King nightmare.
    Can't tell you how old my Krups is...never had any issue(s).

[​IMG]

G2G likes this.
  4. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Humidifier....get one....use it.
    Essick-Air-Evaporative-Air-Whole-House-Humidifier-300x300.jpg

And don't buy one of those dinky little table-top models and expect it to humidify your entire house. Those are ok in a single closed room. Buy a floor model like the one above. I use a pellet stove so I run the one I show here all winter long. When I'm running the pel stove the hardest I will put at least 3-4 gal a day in the air.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    V5 Racer likes this.
  5. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Could help his dry vag too!

7. condon66

Fixed.

8. condon66

Possibly.

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Have a whole house humidifier. Indoor humidity is 36%. No other issues with any static elseware in house.

10. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Yea I have a nice burr grinder, and it does the same thing. before I pull the tray out I smack the grinder a few times, and shake the tray as I pull it out. That helps but it still gets a little bit on the counter some times

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

We heat with wood and run a humidifier. I've seen it empty 5 gals. in less than 24 hrs. alot when it's cold and the furnace is cranking. I still get zapped all the time, touch a dog, doorknob, light switch zzzzzap. My wife hardly ever gets zapped though. Can anyone explain that ?

12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Folgers is great for times you don't feel like dealing with that fancy and stupidly priced coffees. When it's on sale I grab the big ass can of it.

14. precipitous

precipitous Well-Known Member

I have that same Krups, it's so old it's yellow/tan now.

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

how does that work in FL & GA? :D

Phl218 likes this.
  16. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I have the problem, too. I just clean up once a month or so; most of the flying coffee settles in the tray I've got the grinder in.

Mine's a Ciado, and I think cleaning the occasional mess is worth it because espresso.

G 97 likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Baratza Encore - has an anti static coating on the hopper that works great. Humidity helps too as does make sure your beans aren't getting too dried out. Been using Friis coffee vaults that allow the CO2 out, they work great. Coffee a year or more old tastes as fresh as when I got it.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The blade grinders are great for spices :D

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

I think the Starbucks beans are the worse for some reason. I think they're fresh but who knows. The bags come with a one way vent valve plus I put the open bag in a reusable zip lock food saver vac pack and suck the air out. Never heard of a vault. Going to Amazon to oder it now. Vaccum Pac is PIA.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Never used *$ beans but as burnt as they are I'm not surprised they're dry :D