1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

States Passing Laws to Exclude Presidential Candidates

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by kangasj, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, some quick reading says that states are in control of who appears on their presidential ballots, but some restrictions in the past have been shot down by the SC for being too "invidiously discriminatory", for example.

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, what can RED States mandate to keep Democrat candidates off their ballots.....ideas anyone? :crackup:

- I have one, ANY support or restrictions that hurts American citizens regarding the 2A will NOT have access to their ballot system. Unlike the nonsense they're trying to do (get him to release his taxes), at least this one truly EFFECTS all of us. Can you imagine the MSM outrage???? It'd be full of awesome to watch.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Didn't read the proposed bill but the article makes it seem as if they'll require them to be released to the public.

4. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Easy you have to release 5 years of tax returns from a non-governmental employment. Clean a lot of garbage out :rtfrb:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Screw that - I want returns for those being paid by the government too!

6. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Generally, dems seem unable to comprehend the law of unintended consequences. Much like their decision to eliminate 60 votes in the Senate to confirm federal judges, Republicans later in power, extended that to Supreme Court justices (Kavanaugh). Really? You didn't see that coming?

This will be the same thing. Uh, oh, didn't know Republicans would use this same strategy against us later...

7. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

So they release them to the public, then what? The constitution does not say the POTUS has to be in good standing with the community, all taxes paid, etc. If elected then there could be impeachment, seems stupid to me.

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Many in DC would not be able to get on the ballot as they have never worked outside of government.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah but I want it public how much of their income comes from non salary sources :D

sheepofblue likes this.
  10. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

There isn't any such thing as a "federally approved candidate". Each state determines the rules for appearing on that state's ballots.

The FEC does not approve candidates.

Each state has processes for getting on the ballot in that state - usually signatures on petitions, and additional conditions that vary by state. All candidates are not treated equally, either. Independent candidates most commonly need a lot more signatures on petitions to get on the ballot, and face additional hurdles to stand for election.

However unusual a "file a copy of your tax returns with your candidate submission" rule may be, if it's applied equally to all candidates for a given office, it's probably legal.

11. csm800

csm800 Well-Known Member

I suggest that any politician that signs a bill stating a presidential candidate reveal his tax records will have reveal their own tax records, business and personal.

This will show how, exactly, elected officials become millionaires. Listing all properties, investments, holdings, trusts, joint ventures, stock options, etc, for every year....let's see who they really work for because is usually isn't Average Joe American.

badmoon692008, kangasj and cpettit like this.
  12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am just wondering why more people are not concerned about how people get rich while in office instead of panty bunching over the tax records of a guy that is already rich and likely losing money while in office.

To me this just looks like more Democrat throw shit at the wall and hope something sticks tactics...

stk0308, kangasj and brex like this.
  13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It would seem difficult to justify not including a sitting President on the ballot.

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

When did tradition become law?

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I believe most are protected from this type of thing through layers and layers of trusts, incorporations, shell companies, and so on. They funnel all of their dirty money through these, which either winds up in the hands of family (isn't Fienstein's husband making millions off of fat government contracts) or they cash out when they retire.

This is what mystifies me about DJT. Surely he's not organized as a sole proprietor sitting on top of all of his business interests. I'd think his personal taxes would show he gets a modest salary from his business and the rest would be buried by the lawyers.

16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

The release of Trump's tax returns would simply show the public the value of an army of skilled accountants. I have no doubt that he is taking advantage of every loophole and tax dodge available to him. I am also sure that his input into filing those tax returns amounts to not much more than signing his name on the bottom of the page. Trump did not create our Byzantine tax code, and can not be blamed for hiring experts to best navigate it. I am curious if his used underwear is as valuable a charitable contribution as was Bill Clinton's.

17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Releasing them would do nothing other than further divide the nation. The OMB nutcases would just use it for more OMB bashing during their nightly teleprompter reading sessions, those that support Trump would just hate the LWNs even more.
    Those that aren't Trump lovers but want the cry babies to get over the election and allow him to govern don't give a flying fuck and see it as the political ploy it is.

Which is exactly the reason the part of hate wants to push it so badly.

18. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Trump gave Mike Rowe a signed bathrobe in which Mike auctioned off for $16,000 and used for his work-ethic scholarships.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, not yet but they're working on it :D

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Did it smell of fake-tan and hooker urine?