1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

State of Two wheels

Discussion in 'General' started by Critter, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Critter

Critter Registered

So I do not post much on here but I think I need to help put some things in perspective for everyone. So here goes.
    1) Last year I went to purchase a new PWC and my local dealer told me it was full retail on the Yamaha, but he would treat me right on a kawasaki. The reason is he could only get so many Yamaha's but the kawi's were produced in abundance. The way you drive a PWC is pull the throttle and it goes
    2) Polaris is now the #1 OEM in the country and their biggest seller is the RZR and Rangers and you just mash the gas and go. = no shifting
    3) Yamaha, = all out of 600cc SS racing, I think all the rest are too.
    4) Yamaha announced a factory PWC racing team
    5) The fastest growing grid at Dakar this year was the UTV class
    6) UTV classes are growing like crazy in desert racing
    So not matter what all signs point to OEM's not making two wheel product people actually want. RV sales are back, Boat sales and PWC sales are up. This should be concerning to people who make their living in this industry.

2. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

PWC sales are up because they are finally making small, fun, affordable craft again. For a while it was only giant quasi boats that are not fun. Now its mostly giant quasi boats with some small fun ones thrown in. Moto's are going the same way with everything new a 1000cc or bigger.. Inject some newness into them. Give me a V4 CBR750RR for $10k.

ducnut likes this.
  3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

UTV's / SxS's are hurting atv sales not bikes.

4. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I don't know man, I know a metric crap ton of people buying them for family use vs buying the new R1 they wanted or whatever.

notbostrom likes this.
  5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I was thinking more vs. dirt bikes. Can't help the guys that are pussy whipped. :D

bored&stroked, Phl218 and jrsamples like this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

What’s mindblowing is the cost of a SXS and how many I see being trailered around. Everybody must be rich, these days.

cBJr, bored&stroked, scottn and 5 others like this.
  7. Critter

Critter Registered

The why are SXS sales up and bike sales in the commode, when they are even more money than a bike.

8. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

I always hear that no one's buying motocycles but someone must be to justify all of the brands coming out with new superbikes constantly the last few years. I mean what a time to be alive, the performance you can get for $10k-$20k is insane to me

9. Critter

Critter Registered

No offense but you are not catching it, the new generation does not want to go 250MPH for 10 grand, they want easy to use and easy to get moving, IE NO SHIFTING!!

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Snow flakes don't do manual transmissions

11. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

Great - SxS 4wd scooters ...

12. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

My racing buddies have quit the track all together when the Endurance series was whacked and got into the SxS's 5 yrs ago. They finally talked me into getting one. My '18 XP Turbo was only $16,300 new.

They are less dangerous than bikes.
    Can be more 'fun' for the family with the 4 seaters, camping, etc.

I don't think 'no shifting' is the draw to SxS's, and PWC's. When we go to Windrock in TN, every truck/trailer we see is $60k+ plus, 80' toyhaulers (exaggerating) with machines that have $30k+ in them. The west coast sand dwellers have $50k+ in their beauty queens. Since there isn't any mud to deal with, they make their cars show and go.

The crowd we see more of are middle aged, white rich guys (just gauging by their tow rigs, machines and toyhaulers). These guys probably never had a motorcycle in their life and are looking for a motorsports toy that the family can enjoy together.

5axis, pscook, ducnut and 1 other person like this.
  13. Critter

Critter Registered

Then why are the YXZ manuals not selling??? The YXZ manuals don't sell well at all the Sport Shifts are the only ones that sell and if you ask around the answer is they need a CVT, that's why the Talon came out with a DCT and sport shift mode. It will sell.

We need a Bergman motor and drive train in a sportbike, mini cruiser and standard bike....

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Insurance rates

15. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

The Yami sucks for woods riding because of the clutch and the tall gearing. They are more popular in wide open areas and for racing because they are fast as shit.

Imagine being stopped on a 60 degree incline and trying to use a clutch pedal.

Honda got it right with the DCT auto tranny and ability to paddle shift without a clutch for shits and giggles.

ducnut likes this.
  16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

No. Just no.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid: A huge part of it. I didn't agree at one point until I did some research. No one under 40 can afford a street bike with a bank note requiring full coverage.

turner38 likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Are you going to start arguing about how to measure a slope again? :crackup:

Stumpy likes this.
  19. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I think that was a posted Dave Bait.:crackup:

20. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I just wandered around Brushy Mtn. powersports showroom from dropping off a Honder Rancher where the ES won't shift reliably.

Looking at all the available 2 wheels....wow it is a great time to be alive, so many great bikes.