1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starter woes

Discussion in 'Tech' started by OGs750, Aug 25, 2016.

1. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

My 2006 GSXR 750's starter hasn't been working lately. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that nothing would happen when I hit the starter button, but another try usually got things going. Now it won't turn at all.

My battery is fully charged over 13v at the posts. The voltage at the battery drops to just below 12v when I hit the starter. I'm getting the full 13v to the relay and just under 13v from the relay when I hit the starter.

At the starter voltage is 8.5v when I hit the button. I took out the idler gear - everything looks good there - and tried again with no load from the engine and the starter still won't spin. Voltage is about 11v.

All other wiring looks good. The ground from the battery to the engine case looks fine.

Anything else I'm missing? It's the starter right?

2. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

bad ground , loosen it off frame or motor, retighten

3. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

The ground wire on the engine is literally the one bolt I can't get to. It's sandwiched between the frame and the block and can't be accessed without rotating the motor down.

Is there something I can do to ground the starter independent of the motor to test if that's the case?

I also pulled the cable from the starter and I'm getting full scale voltage when disconnected.

4. If you're getting any voltage at the starter and it's not dropping at the battery below 10.8 usually that means the starter is bad.

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Not the textbook way, but jump the starter hot terminal straight to 12v. Carefully. Starter doesn't turn, it's bad or locked. The Suzuki has a reduction gear in the sidecover, sometimes it locks up.

6. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

run a separate ground to be sure. you can just hold a jumper cable in place