1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Started building my track bike...

Discussion in 'General' started by kerrycorcoran, Sep 10, 2006.

1. kerrycorcoran

kerrycorcoran Well-Known Member

www.skurz.com - be sure the click the 2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 link

Nothing too exciting, but am hoping to fire it up this week. I would have been able to start it this weekend, unfortunately the gas tank did not arrive and will have to wait until Tuesday.

I'll keep you posted on the progess.

Keep in mind I haven't ever done a track day, just went to the track with my buddy a few weeks ago and knew I had to try it

Thanks for checking it out and let me know what you think.

Kerry

2. kerrycorcoran

Added a few more updates....man I wish my wheels would get here!

3. mad brad

mad brad Guest

kerry, i know a kevin corcoran here in greensboro NC.

you know him?

4. kerrycorcoran

No, I am originally from Souther Cal, now live in the midwest. You want to hear a crazy ass story, for a while I was dating a chick named Kerry Corcoran - we have the same spelling of first and last names....and no, we were not related. :D

5. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

You have a chicks name, I wouldn't go around bragging about that. :Poke: :D

6. Dezmo

Dezmo addicted to the trackpipe

looking good, I just finished the exact same project... lemme know if you need any nuts/bolts, I have a bunch extra

I would post a link to pics, but my server is being replaced tonite :(

7. kerrycorcoran

The main wiring harness I have is for an '04 motor and the right clip on I have is for an '05 - the connectors are different. Basically the '05 600 added two wires on the right buttons to kill the headlight when you pressed the start button. I am going to splice and solder tomorrow, hopefully fire it up after I mount the wheels and tires.

Kerry

8. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

hade bloody hahaha

9. kerrycorcoran

wow, I had never heard that before....:wow: you really got me... :D

10. Dezmo

11. pitr

pitr Well-Known Member

Very clean looking buildup. I wonder if the poor thing has any idea what fate has in store for it....

12. kerrycorcoran

Looks good, I think it's just as much fun to build them as ride them :D

Did you have any issues with the wirnig as I mentioned earlier?

The crazy thing is this is the 2nd 04/05 600 build I have done this summer. Built the last one just to sell, and then I went to the track and wished I hadn't sold the other one.

13. kerrycorcoran

Trust me, since I am new to the track scene, I am sure this thing is going to get put through the paces before I get good at anything :)

14. Dezmo

kind of, I used a 03 throttle housing/kill switch, so I had to wire them straight into the plug on the main harness, all the wire colors were the same tho. the details of the wiring I covered in the thread in tech

15. kerrycorcoran

Tonight I am going to hardwire the the main harness to the right set of buttons. The buttons have two extra wires, but accordinging to the schematic (which does not show the wires) I should be able to match the correct 5. I think the additional 2 wires came out on the '05 model and basically killed the headlight when the start button was pressed, thus conserving battery.

I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks,
    Kerry

16. kerrycorcoran

Ok, I have been through this once before, but the motor is turning over and will not start. I should mention I am not hearing the fuel pump prime. I attempted to put the bike in dealer mode but thus far have not been successful. Last I recall, all I had to do was jump the top and bottom right terminals on the little white plug in the back - no luck. Am I remembering incorrectly to get the display to show dealer mode??

Thoughts?

Kerry

17. Dezmo

do you have the 2 wires that normally go to the kill switch jumped? I got that far and it wouldnt prime or run without that being jumped

also, do you have the clutch switch in place or jumped?

18. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

My best friends name is tyler durden

19. kerrycorcoran

Not sure which 2 wires you're referring to. At this point I have an 04 main harness and an 05 right button set. I do have 2 spare wires on the button that were not shown on the schematic, is this the two wires you're referring to?

Yes, I have the clutch switch in place. If I do not pull in the clutch nothing happens. When I pull in the clutch the motor will turn over, but nothing.

Thoughts?
    Kerry

20. Dezmo

no. when you modify the kill switch wires, you have to spice the 2 wires that used to go to the switch together so that the bike thinks the switch is still on.

like I said I used an 03 switch, so the plug was totally diff on mine. I just cut the 03 connector off and wired straight into the harness plug

and not to ask dumb questions, but did you build the 3 way splitter w/100 ohm resistor I explained in the tech thread?

maybe I should draw a schematic