1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars Ep 8: The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Jan 23, 2017.

1. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Some of y'all take this way too serious.

zrx12man likes this.
  2. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

So Luke and Vader talking across space or Luke calling to Leia across space in Empire is not telepathy?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wouldn't that be the most recent hack series of movies? I don't remember that in the first couple.

4. ScottyRock155

No, I'm talking about Empire Strikes Back. Luke does call out to Leia in the newest movie too.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh, don't remember that but haven't seen it since it came out :D

6. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Luke calling Leia wasn't a conversation. It was more an emotional flare she could follow to save his dumbass.

Luke talked to Vader across space? When? Return of the Jedi over Endor? They were tracking each other by sense of presence. There was no indication of discussion.

7. ScottyRock155

I put a video in the YouTube thread, I tried to make it start at 9:18 but it doesn't work when embedded for some reason.

8. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Wrong. We all take it just the right amount of serious.

Luke and Vader were having a telepathic conversation of sorts "Father .... Son ..." near the end of Empire Strikes Back. Vader was able to read Luke's mind against his will in Return of the Jedi and figure out that Leia was the sister he kissed.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, too serious. Officially.

zrx12man likes this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Towards the end, when Luke is laid up in the back of the Falcon with his hand cut off while they are trying to escape. Vader says “Luke”, and Luke springs up and replies “Father”.

I’d post a YouTube link but somebody would ban me again. :D

EDIT: looks like ScottyRockPage posted the vid in the Yootoobz thread.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, that was a long ass time ago :crackup:

12. gixxernaut

... in a far assed galaxy away.

13. stk0308

I'm still standing by my statement. Not a conversation. Random emotion flashes don't count as full on telepathy. Reading a mind is also a one way deal. Still not a conversation.

14. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I'm not referring to those debating the physics or continuity of the movies - I can appreciate that - but some people are so offended by the new movies, you have to wonder where George Lucas inappropriately touched them :p

HPPT and pscook like this.
  15. ScottyRock155

Cool, two people talking to each other is not a conversation in your world. Also, if that doesn't count as telepathy, then no one uses telepathy in the new movies either. Luke calls out to Leia as a "emotion flash" and Kylo and Rey are not trying to speak to each other and do not have control of what is happening.

16. gixxernaut

I think it's funny that we're now having an argument over what is "real" telepathy and what isn't. As if there really is such a thing. :crackup:

17. stk0308

What Vader and Luke are doing really doesn't seem like that much of a back and forth, to me. The only time Luke could be speaking to Vader is when he says "father". All the rest of his verbalization are him admonishing someone about not telling him. Which I would take as directed at Kenobi and Yoda. But, it's only my impression. I would not invalidate your read on it. That's the beauty of movies, and such, interpretations can be different.
    Yes, Luke is sending out a flash. Just like he knew they were in danger in Cloud City, via the force, but he wasn't having a conversation with them to get the details. He sensed their intense emotional state. He was hoping by sending up an emotional flare she'd sense it. Not the best writing, I'll give you that. But, it's what it seemed like to me.

Kylo and Rey are part of the Disney abortion movies that throws all the previous canon out the window. So, yes, that is telepathic conversation. It's also crap. And only adds weight to the accusation that Rey is a "Marysue". Something she doesn't deserve to be boiled down to. But, when she has amazing powers, with no training, or even knowledge she could do it. And she does it that well, it's crap.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  18. stk0308

Welcome to the geek corner of the internet. You must be new here :crackup:

And yes, it's silly. I'm only being half serious. I know we're talking about a fantasy world.

19. ScottyRock155

How does having a conversation against her will make Rey powerful? She literally says the words "can we please not do this right now". She isn't controlling it, she doesn't know why it's happening, neither does Kylo. It is not telepathy, it is a forced connection that isn't controlled by either one of them, that is the opposite of power or control.

And yes I know this is dumb, but I love Star Wars and lots of other Sci-Fi movies and discussing them is fun.

20. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I'm sending you a mental message right now. Let me know when you get it.