1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STAR school opinions?

Discussion in 'General' started by rockinchili, Sep 2, 2005.

1. rockinchili

rockinchili Well-Known Member

Looks like I'm gonna pay about 40 cents a mile to drive out and take Pridmore's school next week. Anybody ever been to a STAR day?

2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Yep totally worth it. Just went for the second time a few weeks ago. Do the 2-up ride with Jason if you get a chance. As a racer I thought it'd be pretty tame, but it's pretty damn sweet ..

3. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Eddie it was nice seeing you again. I came by to visit I have a couple of friends that are instructors and Jason ended up giving me a ride. I could have rode for free if I didn't have plans earlier in the day.

BTW I did the class a couple of years ago and it was good but make sure you seek out an instructor to help you out with one on one instruction.

4. Eck

Eck Older, wiser, but still addicted to roadracing

I did the 2-day school at Putnam a couple years back and it was worth it. I'd go back if they came back to Putnam (or I had an extra $1000 lying around).

Not only is Jason really down to earth, but all of his staff will sit down and talk to you about anything. And they have a great system in place to make sure everyone gets the personal attention they are paying for.

I did the 2-up ride with Jason on a Katana 750. I couldn't imagine it on a GSXR 1000. It scared the bejeezus outta me then :)

5. Moonpie

Moonpie Yo Yo Yo!

I have been twice..both times at Barber. I definitely think Jason and his approach makes sense in trying to go faster. One thing that blew my mind was asking us to set a speed limit for ourselves and practice shifting/finding reference points. A majority of the class went balls to the wall and Jason was standing outside watching everyone!

I went one day both times....worth every cent! :up:

6. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Steve - good seeing you too. You definitely have to seek out the instructors. I was asking them questions all day for both days.

Eck - yeah, the ride was a hoot. I thought for sure I was going down. :D I swear I was close to dragging my knee while up on the passenger pegs. It was a blast - even for a racer. Jason would lift the front wheel coming out of a turn or two and it was barely noticeable. I felt the rear end move a bit as well, but he's so smooth with the clutch, it was like nothing.

Jason was backing it in to T7 on the North Course (during one of the demos) and it was just way cool. So controlled and effortless. I think he broke the lap record during one of the demos .. on a stock 1000 with street tires.

Like said above too - everyone there is totally down to earth and approachable. Well worth the money.

BTW - I'd highly recommend doing both days if possible. The 2nd day is better IMO (more 1 on 1 instruction) as one day just really isn't enough ..

7. rockinchili

rockinchili Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll have to wait. They cancelled the school back in my old stomping grounds. Sounds like it's worth the investment though. Guess it'll be good to not spend the money in gas anyway.

8. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Jason seemed like a pretty cool guy but I was very disappointed in the way the school was run. We'd be in the classroom to have jason or the other guy instructing look out the window (at Barber) and be like oh! you are supposed to be on the track right now...go go go!! it was just very unorganized. Could be some other explanation but that was the main thing that stood out in my mind

9. I'm that "other guy" who teaches with Jason at the Star School. Sorry to hear that our Barber school wasn't up to snuff.

Barbers is a beautiful facility. The students rocked. The turnout paid the bills. But we didn't go back there in '05 because the facility made it very difficult to conduct our school the way we had at countless tracks for the previous six years and 200 dates. This affected many things, including the communication between the instructors on the racetrack, and the instructors in the classroom.

No excuses. Thanks for the feedback.

James Lickwar

10. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I took it 2 years ago.... I think it was the first school you guys had there. I remember speed TV was there with greg white doing the school and josh hayes was the "special guest." don't get me wrong we had a great time.... just sharing my opinion. Thanks for taking it as feedback and not criticism :beer:

11. Greg White! I remember now. I blame him. We all hate him anyways :D

12. G.T. Brown

G.T. Brown Active Member

I attended the STAR school at Barber two years ago. The experience was worth the money. I would definitely attend another one.

During one of the classroom sessions Jason announced that he would be giving rides on the new 2004 GSXR 1000. My first thoughts were that it was going to be a tame ride for spouses or significant others and more of a sales pitch for the new bike.

I got the opportunity to ride with Jason on the GSXR. It was at that point that I realized how much talent he has and how little talent I have when it comes to riding a bike. He pulled up the front end (when changing gears) at 123 mph (the big digital speedo was easy to see). The g-forces through the turns were incredible to the point of almost dizzying. We made every turn on the course 20-30 mph faster than I could make by myself on a Honda CBR 600 F4.

The whole day was recorded into my brain as a life experience that I will never forget.

Spend the money and take the 2up ride.