1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SSN on Tech Form?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by jboylan, Apr 18, 2019.

1. jboylan

jboylan Member

I am new to racing, planning to begin this year starting at Nelson in a few weeks time.

Putting together my membership application and making sure my bike was ready but was wondering if someone can explain why there is a field for social security number on the bike tech form? I can think of zero reasons why this should be there. A little confused is all.

2. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

In case you win a cash prize... in which case you would receive a 1099.... to pay the appropriate tax on...

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

I was told it’s a thing from the past, when cash prizes were big(ger) and people were doing all sorts of crazy stuff.

You can leave it out nowadays (until you win that big purse at the GNF ;) )

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

funny thing... I tried to rent a storage unit and they wanted a SSN. Oh I gave them 1... wasnt mine but nevertheless. :)

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  5. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I've never put mine on there and wouldn't advise anyone to put theirs on it either.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. drop

drop Well-Known Member

This could have been told to us by the powers that be long ago. I have always. But will no more.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No real need for it any longer (it was when there was more money in contingency and the sponsors needed it for taxes) but they do get shredded once we're done with them so not a huge security concern. That and really your SSN is everywhere and not needed to steal an identity.

The.Johnner likes this.
  8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Yup, you don't need to beat the bear, you just have to run faster then your friend is all. :D