1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SRAD sprocket question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by wheedle, Dec 30, 2003.

1. wheedle

wheedle Well-Known Member

I put a 15t front on a 96 GSXR 750, somewhere I saw that the chain will really rub hard on the buffer on the swingarm... Is this going to be a problem? do I need to go back to the 16t front and go to a 48t rear?

2. 418

418 Expert #59

It's not a SRAD, it's a Gixxer, maaaaan. :cool: :Poke: :D

3. svstinker

svstinker Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have an opportunity to prevent a future problem and provide yourself some peace of mind. The larger counter sprocket increases chain life substantially. ;)

4. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

That bike is notorious for eating the chain guide. It'll come off just about whatever sprocket you have on front. I glued mine down with epoxy on top and bottom of the swingarm and never had a problem. Then the 15 tooth will be fine. A 16/48 is a pretty low gear. I never remotely got close to using it. Your bike would wheelie everywhere. 16/46 was the lowest I ever used. Hope this helps.

5. bmfgsxr

bmfgsxr Well-Known Member

it will most likely eat the guide up. i always recommend going up on the back rather than down in the front. a smaller countershaft sprocket will also increase chain wear. +3 on the rear is about equal to -1 up front, so gear accordingly.

6. Devilredr6

Devilredr6 Well-Known Member

I have a 15 front and a + 2 rear on my SRAD generation GSXR600, it did eat into it a bit, but only to a point and it has not got any worse. I think the larger rear helped lift it up some.

I wouldn't thing -1/+2 is too radical of gearing for a GSXR600 for most tracks.