1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sprinter RV???

Discussion in 'General' started by Dits, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Anyone have any experience with the RV's built on the Mercedes or Dodge Sprinter, such as the Itasca Navion or Winnebago View? What I'm particularly interested in is mileage (towing a cargo trailer) and durability.

I'm hearing that they get 20 mpg or better. That's a great deal more attractive than the 9 mpg or so I'm getting with the Bang Bus... it may be time to start rollin' with the changes.

2. grantcarruthers

grantcarruthers Well-Known Member

only have info from two guys. My suspension guy out of Chicago would do a lot in the South East. Maintanence issues killed him. So he did a ton of miles but still, that's why we pay extra for diesels, so we can do tons of reliable miles.:mad:

Guy two, ran into at the gas station outside Barber. Claimed 26mpg with two bikes in the back, 75mph, no trailer though.:up:

?????

3. The_Dude

The_Dude Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine had/has one... It was titties! Build quality was much better than your average RV, it was well thought out, and he got mid 20's pulling a 12' enclosed trailer w/2 bikes and tools. I'd love to have one... but they're damn pricey. His was Itasca brand, around $70k new

4. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

The one we've been using, full size diesel Dodge sprinter (not RV), gets around 17-18 mpg with the bikes and gear. We usually cruise around 80, I'm betting it would get a lot better if we didn't have lead feet, but it did pretty well taking mini vans on the outside, hauling ass through the mtns up to Nashville. :D

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  5. Dits

Mid 20's as in 25 or so? Or as in between 20 and 21?

Either way, that's some hellacious mileage. I'm looking right at $450.00 in gas to get to Barber in what I have now.

At 20 mpg and $4.00 for diesel, it would be $204.00.

This warrants some serious consideration. :up:

6. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I have 2006 (short bus) Sprinter and hauling track car (5000LBS) easily 25 to 30 MPG. 200 mile to track and very conservative driving.
    One's your interested in have the big RV booty shell in back or do they maintain the stock Sprinter dimensions?

7. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

The one's I've seen look just like a sprinter but with windows on the sides.

8. Dits

The RV one. Like this:

http://www.lamesarv.com/ItemDetails.aspx?StockNumber=FNI42143

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I have a friend that has a Winnebago Sprinter conversion. He drove it from the east coast to California when he bought it. I believe he got 15-16 on that trip but he was getting worse initially until slowing down a bit. The high mileage claims are from the stock sprinter shell size. Once you put the large slide-out motorhome fiberglass box on back, the wind drag starts to kill you. He learned to slow down a bit to increase his mileage. A few weekends ago at Vegas he got 15 pulling a small cargo trailer and he runs about 65. I think the trailer is 7 x 14.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The shitters full.

11. Dits

You know what? You're right.

Been cooking in there since Roebling. Gotta keep NotBostrom from laying down the coon dogs at Barber. :tut:

12. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

My buddy bought a Sportsmobile w/ half RV/half garage deal out in Fresno as a mountain bike team/party van. We flew out and drove it around the Pacific Northwest for a couple weeks then I caught a plane and flew back while he drove it back across country. The thing's rad, completely, utterly bad ass. It runs 80mph everywhere, even down really ridiculous winding back roads, it's like a diesel sportscar with a shitter. We got 18-19mpg during that trip pinned the whole way but carrying no weight. Well, 4 S-Works mountain bikes and a couple of apes but that's about it. His is tricked out, the garage section is all rhino-lined and it's got a shower (in the garage), a pooper, and a monster stereo. He drives the Sprinter everywhere, all the time, every day. Super easy to drive and just cool to be able to have all of your stuff with you all the time. Buy It Now.

13. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I've seen a few running around that were the big sprinter with a conversion van style high roof but not a full on overhead sleeping area. smaller but big enough to do the job and not kill the mpg

[​IMG]

15. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

sorry i couldn't find a bigger picture..............

16. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

I have an 04 cargo version, and if I take it easy (65mph) I can get between 22 and 25 depending on the wind no matter what my load. The newer ones don't get quite as good of mileage due to the emissions regulations changing. I would say plan for 20 MPG +/- 10%. Maintenance can be expensive on them, but if you stay on top of it and don't drive a million miles a year it isn't too bad. Oh, and mine has 215k on the clock, and is still running strong, so they last a good long time if well maintained.

17. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Dude your a divorce lawyer, tax some poor dip shits ass thats already getting taken to the cleaners an extra $500 and flip me the $50 to help a brother out.

:D

18. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

19. Major

Major Well-Known Member

My parents bought a 24 foot sprinter on the dodge chasis with the diesel engine. They travel 6 months of the year and downsized from a 36 foot Monaco. We just got back from a trip to Myrtle Beach. They got 15 mpg on the way down, once the engine is broke in the mileage should improve, (compared to the 8.5 I got with my Winnebago gasser). The build quality is extremely high and it drives and accelerates more like a car than a RV. So far they couldn't be happier with it.

20. r6doc

r6doc Well-Known Member

I looked at them before I bought my latest RV. The problem I found with the conversions is that the weight of the conversion takes away from carrying capacity and towing. I have a 17 ft aluminum trailer with all my stuff and a couple of bikes is about 3500-4000 lbs. Thats really close to the towing capacity. Also when I looked at the Airstream I got major sticker shock. I bought a Tiffin Breeze 28 ft Diesel pusher. About the same price as the Airstream but air suspension, slide etc. Has a navistar diesel and gets 12-15 MPH so far even with a loaded trailer but its new so that may get better. Only downside is that its squirrely above 75. Its short and turns on a dime.

YMMV