1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sports psychologist (for racing, not the divorce thread)

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Jul 24, 2020.

1. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

This might be different to what you are looking at, but the mental game is a pretty big deal and developing aspect of training in other sports. I've only just come across it for cycling as a legitimate thing to train separately. Anecdotally it's formed the basis of coaches' work since forever, part coach/part psychologist etc. Look up things like functional mental toughness, here's a link to the scientific triathlon podcast (awesome btw). Their guest reeks of dodginess but gives some ideas on it https://castbox.fm/x/1L0mr

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I like the one that says, "It's never too late to have a great childhood!"
    Come on Formula 60! :D

Phl218 likes this.
  3. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Gino, I'll hang out and yell at you all you want. Much love brother :beer:

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Yes Pat, but yelling “it’s all good brother, just go with the flow” etc isn’t that motivating...

:D

5. OldGuyOnBlu

OldGuyOnBlu Well-Known Member

It's possible some deep introspection and a few magic mushrooms might be just as effective, cheaper and more fun

Phl218 likes this.
  6. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

I Googled for one a while back. The nearest I found was a couple hours from me. I think it'd be money well spent, not just for racing.

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

After two unsuccessful seasons of trying to get out of the water on the wakeboard , in the third year, I spent 5 minutes in the water thinking about every muscle movement in slow mo. Boat went GO and up I was.

same applies for racing. Even better with a good coach

Gino230 likes this.
  8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Mods, please move this post to the Vintage section, where it will have a more suitable audience.

Boman Forklift and fastfreddie like this.
  9. khill

khill Well-Known Member

This is my talking point on mental fitness from a keynote speaker talk I did in January. (This was a very small snippet in an hour long presentation)

3rd Aspect of training - Mental fitness -

- " If your mental fitness is off, you lose the ability access your technique. And, this can come from a million things, from personal to professional. With everything I deal with, this - FOR SURE - is the number ONE training aspect I have to address. Whether it’s a lack of confidence from technique, or the inability to simply focus…..mental fitness is the most important and most often overlooked part of training."

TurboBlew, DmanSlam and Gino230 like this.
  10. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

"With winning in mind" by Lanny Bassham is a really interesting book. He was an Olympic rifle shooter.

DmanSlam and khill like this.
  11. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

These two also seem well regarded

How Bad Do You Want It? Mastering the Psychology of Mind Over Muscle, by Matt Fitzgerald

The Brave Athlete: Calm the F*ck Down and Rise to the Occasion, by Lesley Paterson and Simon Marshall

12. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I found that the lack of medical insurance at 38 years auld, hindered my desire to push faster.
    My brother had just shattered his left arm snowboarding. Initial estimate was $90,000 cash...pre-op.

I started riding at 38 years old.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  13. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Back in Ireland.. sports psych is a huge part of their programs now.

14. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Pretty sure if he's looking for PEDs, I'd go with some uppers instead.

I bet if you took a few hits of crack at third call you'd be setting PBs up and down the east coast :D

15. fastfreddie

I disagree. What's needed is the ultra-acute awareness brought on by LSD, not the psycho-frenzied perceptions brought on by gross stimulants. :D

16. SuddenBraking

At the next two open kart track days at NJMP (where I'm more often than not all by my lonesome on the track), I'll smoke weed for one day and blow lines for the other and report back on lap times.

That's what we call "science" :p

17. fastfreddie

No, science would be repeated tests, back-to-back, while also changing the smoke first/snort second routine.
    You may even want to throw in a smoke AND snort routine...change that up, too. :D

18. SuddenBraking

I'm not averse to speedballs if we wanted to add heroin to the equation :crackup:

19. fastfreddie

The calming effects might be exactly what's needed to quell the onslaught of psychosis.
    Don't forget, all tests must be conducted with products from their same respective lots or you're gonna have to start over. :eek:

20. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

To get started, read Relentless by Tim Grover if you haven’t already. He was a trainer for Jordan, Kobe and Dwayne Wade. Really interesting read.

iagsxr likes this.