1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sports psychologist (for racing, not the divorce thread)

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Has anyone worked with one, or able to recommend one?

I've found alot more fast guys than you would think have explored this avenue to improvement. I feel I could benefit from some work on my mental game.

cav115, ekraft84 and Ducti89 like this.
  2. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Boy howdy!! The beeb agrees. You could definitely benefit from some mental improvements. :Poke:

I wish I could help, but I only know regular psychologists, but I’m happy to reach out see if they have anywhere they could point me to. Just had to poke. :D

cajun636 and Gino230 like this.
  3. khill

khill Well-Known Member

Yes.....Gino - send me an email, I have a very solid contact.

Edit - I have found - very few - have explored this, but many need to.

Gino230 likes this.
  4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

If you're taking club racing that seriously, you may need a real psychologist. :D

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

6. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

The irony. Most of us lowly MA Twins guys have had a 2+ year long thread going that's titled "Pro Club Racers." :crackup:

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Annnnndddd there goes your Class 1 for mental issues.....:D

To go fast less this <makes brake squeezing hand action> and more this <makes opening throttle hand action>

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  8. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Don't forget to lean over. Way over, and drag your elbow.
    Also prepping a twins bike to ATTEMPT to qualify.

Gino230 and t11ravis like this.
  9. Gino230

I will try this!

10. Gino230

I know you're joking, of course.

There are people who take tons of drugs and spend thousands on trainers just to look good. At least my reasons for self improvement involve actual competition. Or at least, that's what I'm telling myself.

Someone on here (I don't remember who) once wrote "winning is at best a desire, and at worst a silly way to combat insecurity." I'm not concerned about my reasoning for wanting to go faster- I JUST WANT TO DO IT.

You know, Be your best self, and all that. (I see Girls wearing T-shirts saying that shit all the time)

Of course. I tell my hand to stay wide open longer all the time. For some reason, it doesn't obey!

In one of Keith Code's books, he talks about planning. Let's say you have a plan to hold it wide open through Turn X at a certain track. You get to Turn X and you roll off, What happened?

Some alternate plan took over, one you didn't even know you had.

I have a lot of theories as to the WHY these things happen. But just as in my riding, where I know I'm doing certain things wrong- I don't need someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong, Just give me the tools to fix it. I've been trying on my own for 20 years with mixed results.

Like the other T-shirt says-

NOBODY CARES, WORK HARDER.

:crackup:

11. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Please don't practice this while doing your day job. Might get expensive.

Gino230 likes this.
  12. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I prefer the shirt that says "The older I get, the faster I was."

13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Not for gino it wouldn't

14. ChemGuy

You pussed out. Nancy. :D

Now is the best time to get faster...you aint flying anyway...so if you break some bones your not out any $$ from lost flights. :D

But seriously...if you go thru a corner at speed X and the bike is washing the front, sliding, etc...go thru a little faster next time. Push the comfort zone. And if the bike isnt happy...tweak the boingers and try it again.

Do you have any data logging on the bike? If not get some basic speed,throttle, brake logging so you can whats up.

Have fun.

DmanSlam likes this.
  15. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Do you mean "isn't"?

Because that sounds like a bad idea :D

16. Gino230

I can't even use the excuse of being old anymore- I'm still setting PB lap times on the same bikes, for the most part. So I'm faster now than I was- but it ain't enough!
    Believe it or not, I'm flying a full schedule. We just had 2,600 pilots take voluntary retirement or leave starting Sept 1.

I use an AIM Solo, so I have GPS lap time and speed. No throttle position or Brake pressure. Of course I do work with this. Often I find that it's a matter of a few tiny spots where you were a little faster or slower that makes, or breaks a lap. Judging your speed in each corner down to 2-3 MPH is what separates the best from the also ran guys- IMO.

Exits on these little bikes are not hard. If you're at the apex, pointed in the right direction, getting on the gas isn't scary with how much tire we have and the HP the bikes make.

It comes down to entry speed and momentum (corner speed). I find I'm losing 2-5 MPH at each apex to the very fast guys. They are also braking later and harder. This is something that I'm struggling to fix- I don't have a banzai mentality. Getting in deep fires up alot of panic style reactions.

Of course the bike plays a role, I had some setbacks because of changes I made that put us way out of the "normal" setup window- basically mistakes on my part. So I am recovering some confidence from throwing it away at Road America 1. But for the most part, my equipment is not holding me back.

Like Ken Hill says in his podcasts, "you have to get comfortable being uncomfortable." I took this to mean, you have to push your comfort level if you want to improve.

OR like David Goggins says, You gotta harden the fuck up!

Bruce likes this.
  17. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

More throttle may not be the answer. But it will end the suspense.

Ducti89 and mpusch like this.
  18. ChemGuy

Well my way would make you faster or broken.

But yes I meant isnt...

mpusch likes this.
  19. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Accurized

20. ChemGuy

Hey!

Thats my line. I stole from a guy, parodying another guy. But its mine!!

:D

5axis likes this.