1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speedcell Battery Dead

Discussion in 'Tech' started by HoyaXC07, Oct 24, 2020.

1. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

My S1000rr sat for a few years and the speedcell Battery in it is almost dead. It amazingly started the bike but the fuel and fuel pump were roached and I ran down the battery turning it over. I'm fixing the pump problem but need a way to charge, or least jump, the speedcell battery. Any way to do this? The only thing I could find was an expensive charger on their website.

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Use a dumb car batt charger on it's lowest setting, preferably under 2A, and let it drag the batt up.

3. HoyaXC07

I've got a battery tender with alligator clips. I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

That likely won't work, the tender wants to see a certain voltage before it'll engage. You need a dumb charger/power supply.

5. HoyaXC07

I've got a car battery charger, I can try that too. Just keep any eye on the battery volts to make sure it doesn't over charge?

6. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

If it's based on LiPo technology, pull the battery out of your bike before you try to bring it up with a dumb charger. And away from anything else that can catch fire, just in case.

noles19 likes this.
  7. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Yeah this.

The problem is when you drag it down to really low levels, the cells get unbalanced and you could have one cell at 1v and the other at 0.5v. Charging lithium cells below 1v is risky, which is why charging below 2v is locked out in most chargers. You'll want to disassemble the pack and charge each cell individually. The difference between a runaway "thermal event" and a recovered cell can be less than 1A when charging.

8. GM GIXXER

GM GIXXER Well-Known Member

A trip to cycle gear will score a lithium battery compatable charger pretty cheap.
    upload_2020-10-27_15-49-57.png

9. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

Send it to them and they'll test and charge it for you.

10. HoyaXC07

Bought a cheapo lithium ion battery charger from Amazon. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the help gents!

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

If you can salvage a switching power supply (laptop charger) that is 12v output, cut the laptop end off, put some alligator clips on it, you have a really good lithium battery charger. I have several. You have to monitor it so you don't overcharge, but they will actually revive a really dead lithium cell module.

jd41 likes this.