1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPEEDCELL BATTERY CHARGING

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Team_pmr, Aug 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Team_pmr

Team_pmr Well-Known Member

What charger have you guys used for a speedcell ? I know some the one they sell would be best but i don't have one and need it charged before Monday. Will a optimate lithium charger work?

alex127 likes this.
  2. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

They don't recommend it but it doesn't sound like you have much of a choice.

3. PBJellyTime

PBJellyTime Active Member

Not recommended, but you can put it on a trickle charge for bit. I'd say as soon as its green or close to being green, go ahead and disconnect it. Had a few issues where I was in the same situation, had to do it a couple times unfortunately. No issues so far

4. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

How'd it go? This made me remember to buy a lithium jump starter just in case my speedcell unexpectedly drains.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Their website says nothing about the type of Lithium battery but I'm gonna assume it's Li Iron.
    With a ten year storage capability without losing the charge, I say install it and fire up the bike. Let the bike's charging system do its job. After all, it's the bike's system that the battery is gonna be living on.

Be aware that the battery, initially, may not start the bike. By the third or fourth try, it should start...the batteries don't like being asked to work when “cold”. Conversely, they don't like starting a bike hot off the track, either. You'll figure it out.

FWIW, I have a Ballistic that sat in my basement for a couple years, in its box, unused. In a pinch, I slapped it into a bike whose battery died at an untimely moment. The bike was sitting for a couple months prior to installing the Ballistic. A few crank attempts and I was up and running.

There are some posts in related threads talking about these battery's quirks, but the trade-off is like replacing a bowling ball with a tennis ball in both size and weight.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    jd41 likes this.
  6. Team_pmr

Team_pmr Well-Known Member

I just put a stock battery back in for the weekend and sent them the battery we will see what they say.
    Thanks for the input