1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed Triple R race bike?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by HoyaXC07, Jun 15, 2016.

1. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

Does anyone race a speed triple? I just noticed are legal to race in the B/750 class. I'm thinking about my next bike and think it t might be something fast and different. My thought would be to ditch the handlebars for clip ons and mount Daytona plastics. Would the engine be underpowered compared to a GSXR 750 or big v twin?

Thanks!

2. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

There have been a couple over the years, but it will underpowered and overweight compared to a GSXR or most newer V-twins. If you are a novice its really more the rider than the bike.

3. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

It's a cool bike, but every other bike on the grid is going to stomp a mudhole in you. Heavy. Agricultural transmission. Wide spread of power but a GSX-R750 would absolutely run away from a Speed Trip. I had the unfortunate opportunity to race a Daytona 955 once, it wasn't fun.

4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I raced an older 955 a few years with some success. But the other bikes have come a LONG way since then where the SP3 has kinda stayed the same-ish.

They are fun and all that but it all depends on if you are wanting to be competitive.

If so you'll need geometry and a suspension upgrade with proper intervals.

Depending on the year you could have 120-130 hp. But it'll weigh a good bit more.

If you want something different then go for it.

5. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

The only reason I'd race a speed triple is BECAUSE of the handlebars.. I hate clipons lol. I had my hyper out at the track yesterday and a bike with handlebars is so much more fun. I'm a mediocre rider at best but had no problem in A group... I'd get my ass handed to me on the straights but I could hang with just about everyone in the corners.

Which would probably be your experience on a speed triple vs. a sportbike.

I wish this thing had 50 more HP.

6. khill

khill Well-Known Member

FZ1

emry likes this.
  7. Tom7

Tom7 Well-Known Member

FWIW The most frequently kaput bikes I have seen at track days are the Speed Triple/955/T509 variants. However, I must say I miss my T509. When the suspension is worked and set up properly it is super stable if not fast.

8. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

THIS! Older gen R1 engine that is known for some wicked power when tuned right and add some decent suspension. Total weapon for those of us that are youthfully challenged.