1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Specifically how and where are these Baggers always leaking from?

Discussion in 'General' started by solson1041, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Baggers need to dirt track it.

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Anecdote... I was at a trackday with a custom bagger doing some testing. They cut their day short when they lost a lot of oil. IIRC they lost an oil filter o-ring. The belly pan and rider did their job keeping oil off the track so it was nbd for everyone else.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

That's offensive you...you bad guy you.

5. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Im triggered. I went to move my 86 Electra glide evo after 2 months and it puked a ton of oil out of its breather. Apparently, the oil leaks from the holding tank into crankcase from sitting too long.

As far as leaking "normally" who knows, loose tolerances that gets tightened up when it gets hot? Remember, they're oil boilers so they run hotter than watercooled bikes. Their tolerances have to be looser to compensate for that.

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

It's almost like the motorcycles which were never designed to be raced are having a tough time withstanding the abuse of being raced. I could be wrong...

RightSideUp, KMC, Quicktoy and 14 others like this.
  7. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Not sure where the baggers are leaking from.

However when you push a engine to the extreme are we really surprised of the issues?

2021 at Road A top three had times in 1:36 to 1:39 ish
    2022: 1:31 to 1:32 ish

Top bagger would of placed 13th ish in the SS race! (Road A) That is if it could of lasted 11 laps. :Poke:

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

MotoAmerica has warned teams for the last couple rounds that "reasonably avoidable mechanical failures" will begin to garner sanctions and other punitive action. Obviously with an eye toward the Bagger teams.. MA phrased things so that nobody came off as being judged incompetent or negligent, but they also made it clear that this kind of stuff will not be allowed to continue happening.

Sucks for Kyle, but championships aren't just the rider's to win.

418, regularguy, MELK-MAN and 4 others like this.
  9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Maybe they can engine swap the baggers with SV twin engines. No one will be the wiser :)

10. FastByKids

Via Instagram:

kylewyman
    Yesterday my championship hopes were ripped from my hands as I was disqualified for a mechanical failure and forced to sit on the sidelines during yesterday’s King of the Baggers race. I’ve never felt this way before. I’ve led championships in the past that I’ve thrown away in a crash. I’ve made mistakes in racing that bury you mentally that you learn from to grow and become a better athlete. But yesterday I didn’t even have the chance to go out and take that shot, make that mistake, or taste that victory. I didn’t get to feel victory OR defeat. Nobody had to beat me yesterday… and that is what bothers me the most. The fans were robbed of the closest championship fight in @motoamerica history, with three riders within 1 point of the lead with two races left. The fans who waited patiently throughout Sunday never got to see the whole battle they came for. I’m sad for the team, the fans, and mostly for everyone who experienced even greater pain and suffering over the weekend from the events that happened on Friday. It was a shit week but I’m grateful to be here and with a chance try making sense of it all. Thank you @harleydavidson for being such an amazing group, and congrats to @twyman_10 for putting H-D on top of the points battle where we belong. They can try to take away my title but they best believe there’s another Wyman coming like a freight train. #choochoomfer See you in jersey.

MELK-MAN, G2G and tophyr like this.
  11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Especially when you push one designed for tilling soil and dragging carts at low speeds into racing.

Oh wait...even tractors have moved on to water cooling.

KMC likes this.
  12. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

“But yesterday I didn’t even have the chance to go out and take that shot, make that mistake, or taste that victory. ”

Actually he and the team did have that chance the first start. His bike broke. Period.

Kyle, I love you and all that you do and admire the heck out of KWR and I am sure this one stings and I feel bad for you, but the bike took the start and didn’t make it. That was the loss. MA just codified that event with a ruling not allowing the bike to restart.

Quicktoy, kirk erlinger, 418 and 3 others like this.
  13. G 97

G 97 Garth

The rules were modified to allow H-D to run their water cooled head and maintain the original 131ci air cooled displacement limit. I’m pretty sure for 2022 H-D has been using the water cooled or what they call twin cooled 131R engine. In 2021 they ran the air cooled only version. At Brainerd it appeared to me that Wymans bike was leaking coolant but it could have also been leaking both oil and coolant. Pretty positive, the brief time they showed it, it appeared the head, was in fact the twin cooled version. I haven’t bothered to reach out to my guy at H-D to confirm 100%.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    Quicktoy likes this.
  14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Love to know the actual details about this ruling. Must be a lot to the story. I know MA thinks very highly of the Wymans.

G 97 likes this.
  15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Revised rules:
    2.7 BAGGER TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
    The following rules are intended to give freedom to modify or replace some parts in the
    interest of safety, research and development and improved competition between various
    motorcycle concepts.
    EVERYTHING THAT IS NOT AUTHORIZED AND PRESCRIBED IN THIS RULE IS
    STRICTLY FORBIDDEN

2.7.1 Motorcycle specifications
    • Harley-Davidson FL Touring (All Years)
    • Indian Bagger or Touring (All Years)
    2.7.2 Engine configurations and displacement capacities
    Harley-Davidson Motorcycles:
    a. Originally equipped Milwaukee-Eight twin-cooled or air-cooled pushrod V-Twin
    engines, maximum displacement of 131.8 ci. normally aspirated.
    b. Originally equipped air-cooled pushrod V-Twin engines, maximum displacement
    of 131.8 ci. normally aspirated.
    c. S&S or Jim’s air-cooled pushrod Twin Cam engines w/MSO are acceptable up to
    131.8 ci. normally aspirated.
    d. Forced induction air-cooled pushrod V-Twin engines allowed with maximum
    displacement of 107ci.

16. G 97

G 97 Garth

I would as well. Was the ruling based on him causing the red flag or was the ruling caused by the actual technical issue that resulted in the engine leaking which they would have had time to fix which I believe they did but MA would not permit them to re-grid. Race announcers were not clear in this regard.

17. FastByKids

That was my take, always thought of them as "favorite sons" to MA. Hence why I was a bit shocked he posted something like that.

Thus far he definitely has the court of public opinion on his side. Two others and myself are the only ones to comment about this was a repeat offence etc.

Circacee likes this.
  18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Good thing Patricia didn't get hurt or this would look even worse for Kyle. But her bike was pretty well wrecked.

5axis, MELK-MAN and ebastaard like this.
  19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

why only 1? At a minimum they should install 2 SV motors perpendicular to the frame!! After all they are clapped out... not clapped in!!

20. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

I liked your comment.

Also, he could've apologized to Patricia. Crying about the DQ is a bad look.

E Reed and MELK-MAN like this.