1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sparkless SV650

Discussion in 'General' started by footwork, Jan 8, 2001.

1. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

Got this 99 SV with plans on racing it. After a 400 mile ride I began stripping it down. After I had removed all of the useless electrical compenents(headlight, instruments, horn, turnsignals and tailight) I made sure the engine would still turn over... didn't start it, just figured if it turned over it was straight. [​IMG] So after removing the kickstand I figured I'd better fire it up just to be sure. Crank crank crank- nuthin. [​IMG]It turned over but would not start. Pulled out rear plug, grounded it, nuthin, no spark. Clutch in, neutral selected ignition on no spark. Got voltage to the coil, got voltage to the sparkplug wire, yet no spark.(plug is not fouled)I even tried reconnecting the kickstand button but that did not seem to help.Oh yea, battery had a good charge. What could the problem be? Any help would be appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

You have disconnected something that matters is my guess. I would plug everything back together and try to start it.

3. Tracee Polcin

Kickstand switch, did you try to complete the circuit and then start it?

4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Did you remove the ignition switch? If so, there's your problem. There's a resistor in there that must be present in the ignition circuit in order for the bike to fire. Details at svrider.com

5. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

just a shot in the dark, when removing wires did you disconnect the fuel tank? my tl (i know fuel injected) would not fire w/o fuel. there was a sensor to determine if fuel was present...don't know if the sv has this or not...

6. mtiberio

mtiberio Well-Known Member

I recently race prepped a sv650 and found that the clutch switch and the side stand switch were both possible places where you must be careful or the bike wont crank/run. also don't pull the turn signal relay, its also the starter relay. the 2 wires to the sidestand switch must be shorted together (or to ground) or the bike will die when dropped into gear. I think I had to put a jumper on the electrical connector left behind afdter I removed the left switch housing, this was to "short" the clutch switch... good luck and see you out there...

7. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

The kickstand switch will not allow the engine to crank at all, so that's not it.

Let us know what you found.

8. wera122

wera122 Guest

Wow Tracee, you're a freaking genius. How did you ever figure that one out? Just keep padding those posts, you are the BBS King. [​IMG]

9. Tracee Polcin

Better than your suggestion Tom, oh wait you couldn't change a light bulb without help. [​IMG]

10. wera122

wera122 Guest

That's why I had to move into a luxury apartment that changes them for me. It's a rough life, but someone has to live it. [​IMG]

11. Tracee Polcin

Yeah I know, I have alot of places I can hide with 3500 sq. ft. [​IMG]

12. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

wow your wife has a big house. how big is your part? you know the little spot she lets you put your bike. well when the dog isnt using it to sleep that is

13. Tracee Polcin

My spot is big enough for my trailer and all 3 of my bikes. The rest of the house is hers except for the yard, that is mine too. No pets, they are smelly nasty animals [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Tracee Polcin (edited 01-09-2001).]

14. stickboy274

wow, my wife gave me enuf room for all three trailers the 3.5 bikes and the 4-5 i usually have around that im working on for other people. thats why i never get my bike worked on. im always working on somebody elses so i can pay for my racing. in the house i have a chair thats mine. but she wont let me sit in it right now. oh yeah i have room for the sea-doo and the jeep and the old blue beast too. doberman/rottwieler pup to guard it all

15. stickboy274

oh yeah a three year old to protect me from the pup

16. td930

td930 Well-Known Member

stick...do you have a fridge? with beer? [​IMG]

17. wera688

wera688 Well-Known Member

I didn't know they had a Rooms-To-Go in South Carolina, but I guess they do.

18. stickboy274

the one in the house has beer. and i can fire up the one in the trailer for extra storage. i even have access to a huge circle k size ice machine. for keg cooling

19. footwork

sounds like s-boy is gearing up for the big BBS party... and I figured out why my SV would not run! Seems in my fury to remove the stock bits I happened to overlook [​IMG] the little black box just forward of where the taillight used to live. This modern bike thing is new to me - but I'm sure it is amusing anyway. Some guy on the SVRRider list helped out there. I then proceeded to follow Tiberio's remedy to the kickstand wiring to prevent the bike from stalling when engaged in gear. Thanks - see you at Talladega [​IMG]

20. footwork