1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

South Africa/Black Leaders Stealing Land

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by kangasj, Mar 9, 2018.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Where did you see me say that?

2. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I didn’t. It was a question.

3. auminer

Well, to answer, I wouldn't know right off the top of my head, and I don't have the time or inclination to research it right now.

But as I DID say in my previous post, lets revisit this question in 30ish years, and see what the answer is at THAT time.

4. auminer

Well, apparently I lied... :D

I'm still sipping my coffee, and it still hasn't produced the necessary.... movements...

I didn't find any 1994 stats in my exhaustive 10 second google search, but I did download the 2000 CIA world factbook, which is only a couple-few years off, and is directly comparable to the current factbook.

I'll pick out a few, basic markers that are fairly relevant to quality of life. Feel free to look through & find your own. Then, in 2048, if anyone's still interested in this topic, we'll all have a baseline to compare the then current numbers to.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/download/ Download historical versions

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/sf.html SA current stats

Infant mortality rate 2000: 58.88/1000 ... 2018: 31/1000 ... better

literacy 2000: 81.8% ... 2018: 94.4% ... better

GDP per capita 2000: $6900 ... 2018: $13,400 ... better

Unemployment rate 2000: 30% ... 2018: 27.6% ... better-ish

Some key figures that are unavailable in the 2000 version:

Adult prevalence rate of HIV/AIDS = 18.9%. One adult in 5 is infected. That's the 4th worst rate in the world, and SA has the highest total # of any nation.

There are .77 physicians per 1000

93.2% of the population has access to 'improved' drinking water supply

66.4% of the population has access to 'improved' sanitation facilities (read: toilets)

So... perhaps things are slightly better today than they were just a few years post-apartheid. HIV is a crushingly huge issue for SA and will only get bigger. Unemployment is high and hasn't changed much over the past 20 years.

But, again. Let's revisit this in 30 years. Or, rather, yall can. I'll most likely be taking a dirt nap.

5. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

That shithole certainly hasn’t turned into Wakanda

6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So how far do you go back? Just until a politically powerful group is reached? Or do you go back as far as current historical knowledge reaches? Of course in that case either the current owner is also at risk or they must eradicate anything historical that is found.

7. sheepofblue

Because you white devil will be next once you are in the minority.

8. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I wonder how many of the people wanting to take land back actually had any family members that owned the land they're taking in the past.

cav115 and sheepofblue like this.
  9. sheepofblue

Kind of like the black people wanting pay back for slavery.... did you come from slaves because some people moved to this horrible place that owes them later as free men.

10. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Watch out for those rabbit holes. :D Hopefully I'll have better things to do in 30 years than check in on this thread, but you never know.

I'm no expert on relations in SA, so I was thinking "out loud" so to speak. I just struggle with the notion of a nation being better off under a system of institutionalized segregation.

I also think the situation is very nuanced and would have to do a lot of research before I felt that I had the expertise to make the kind of judgement that some have in this thread.

I'm somewhat guilty of the knee jerk as well though. I just have a hard time not throwing up in my mouth when I hear white people complaining about discrimination.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

South Africans who lived under apartheid may have a different opinion. But what do they know? :D

12. auminer

Perhaps they could ask themselves if they would have traded their existences then, for what the masses currently experience in Zimbabwe.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I would bet you good money that if you spoke to enough people, you'd be surprised how many would take their chances with the Zimbabwe experience. It's not just about numbers on a sheet of paper.

14. kangasj

kangasj Banned

You've been institutionalized :D. They are just under 10% of the population and it sounds like their land will be taken without any type of payment. So, they are a minority and they're getting shafted by the majority. Sure sounds like discrimination to me. Sounds like they're going for apartheid 2.0.

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Fair, but nobody here is a South African resident as far as I know.

Should have said white Americans.

16. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Germany was split in half for 50 years. Israel ain't giving anybody their land back from the 6 day war, ever. There are still two Koreas. The US is 150 years past slavery. And the middle east is killing everybody over ancient fiction.

But all the black people in SA should prob just chill so they don't get called out by dipshits in the US worried about documenting every potential instance of reverse racism across the globe o_O

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

There's never a shortage of useful idiots.
    The ground in Zimbabwe is full of them.

sheepofblue likes this.
  18. In Your Corner

It isn't racism that is the issue, it's violence and unlawfulness.

19. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Did you read the first line of the first post in the thread with "black" in the title?

20. In Your Corner

Say what you want to say, I don't play guessing games.