1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Source for various bearings

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by cha0s#242, Nov 10, 2017.

1. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

What's your source ?
    I'm looking to replace the swingarm bearings and a few others (wheels, etc.) on my 1990 VFR 400 NC 30. OEM prices I found online are very costly and are located in the UK... Anyone of you have a good source from some generic stuff ?
    Thanks.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I just find a local bearing place and buy the right type and size when I need them.

terminus est and stickboy274 like this.
  3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

4. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

ebatmus.com

5. cha0s#242

6. KawH1R

KawH1R Well-Known Member

Be wary of any bearing coming from China.

7. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

+1 on this.

I walk into Peterborough bearings and drives, with what I need in my hand, and either walk out with a quality replacement, or have one in a couple days. Prices have always surprised me by being much cheaper than I expected. Yeah, you can find cheapy china bearing online and save some bucks, but if you have to take a bunch of shit apart to replace a bearing, you might as well put a good one in. Especially if a cheap one fails and takes out a bunch of other shit with it.

http://peterboroughbearings.com/contact_us.html

8. cha0s#242

Hey Dan, nice find. Just happens my VFR is currently near that place, being worked on by Steven Whyte. Do you know him ?

9. Dan Dubeau

I've heard his name before. VRRA guy?

10. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

All Balls bearing has bike stuff too.
    But i usally use bearing company for my needs. But weird stuff All Balls has them cheaper.
    Headset bearings for my F3 with Shrad triples no one had the upper.
    Now All Balls has size i need.
    Hope this helps.

Steven Isenhower #52

cha0s#242 likes this.
  11. cha0s#242

Yes. He's built some very nice bikes for Bentley Hammer and Tony Reis. Also rents out EX500s and provided one for Tomas Casas in the two last years. Big Kawi fan. He doesn't race anymore, but works the pits for his brother Tim and crew.

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

This is what I've done in the past.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'd shy away from All Balls for things that are under harsher conditions like wheel bearings and the like. They seem to be OK for their tapered steering head bearings, but for other things that are subject to higher temps and friction I wouldn't use them. All Balls are cheap Chinese relabeled stuff. A Google search will usually turn up a decent amount of unhappy experiences.

If its worth a damn I would stick to high quality Japanese (NOK, KOTO, NSK) and German (SKF) brands.

VFR#52 likes this.
  14. Dan Dubeau

That's it, the guy who rents ex's. Couldn't remember why I knew the name.

15. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Dave Conforti at Worldwide Bearings in NJ. Everything from standard OEM replacement bearings available to ceramic hybrids. High quality and great service.

http://www.worldwidebearings.com

16. cha0s#242

I've rented his EXs a few times to scratch a racing itch and was very happy with the result. Very tight bikes, no hassles. It's the best way to race VRRA with no stress and quite cheap too. If you ever want to try the club, let me know, I'll hook you up ;)

17. Dan Dubeau

Thought about it a couple times for Mosport. Still have my f3 in the barn if I really get itchy. I wish the VRRA would figure out the long talked about P5. It's the only reason I still have my F3 (that and I'm lazy with selling things). Holding out hope that they allow it, and I can race Mosport once a year.

18. cha0s#242

P5 will happen someday, for sure. Problem is weekends are already booked close to the max at most events and a lot of the old guard still opposes it because they're not vintage enough. Old buggers lol

19. Dan Dubeau

Vintage has a different meaning for people of different vintages.... I didn't want a CB750 in highschool, I wanted an F3, GSXR, ZX7, etc...

I'll probably just fix up the wifes old bandit 400. Might be able to get a few more years out of that motor running wide open around Mosport. I don't ever want to sell that bike so I might as well use it.

First things first I need to lose this growth around my mid section so I can shoehorn myself back into my leathers. I'm way too cheap to buy another pair. lol

20. cha0s#242

I used to have good dogfights with @Banditracer on his Bandit 400 :D. Good little machines.