1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sooo does that mean you're not donating again?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Handicapped Racer, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Misinformation. They were raised on this “you can be whatever you want to be” promise. I think most of it stems from boomers having much more opportunity and “shielding” their kids from hardships. Couple that with the Ed system wanting the money and it catches a lot of people up. Remember, these are the kids that all got participation trophies their whole lives.

ducnut likes this.
  3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

For giggles, I looked up what $400k gets you in LA. First result was what looks like a burned out shell! It's hard to find an apples to apples comparison, because building styles are so much different, but when looking for 5bd/5ba with land - everything was multi-million $$$.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

F#ck, I was told I could be whatever I wanted to be. I knew it was a lie. So kids now are just stupid?

If your parents did that to you, then they should be on the hook to bail your ass out, not the rest of society. When my daughter got her first job, my wife went to the community center and asked them to give her the nastiest job they had. When a grade school teacher made light of a low test score and said she could take it over (she didn't want to study) we said no, she will have to work to bring her grade up and told her to give her extra assignments for credit. One of the proudest days of her life (so far) was when she gave me the first birthday gift she had paid for with money she earned.

XFBO, Montoya and ducnut like this.
  6. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

the town is controlled by two huge entities, the military and Christianity. 6 military installations minutes of each other and something like half of the largest evangelical groups based here. Also, Focus on the Family is based here.

That means no rec cannabis and a few draconian laws on alcohol, bars, etc.

It is also a very eclectic town, strong arts community, one very prestigious ultra liberal college, and pretty damn diverse for Colorado. Cost of living is reasonable but climbing due to growth. Everybody I know is military, former military, cadets, or wildlife LEO.

People drive like psychopaths. Education is under funded but not by much.

As far as where to live, its really hit or miss. I live in a gated oasis in the middle of a hood. The investment seems to be centered downtown and just south of it. Up by USAFA is very cookie cutter and looks like Plano, TX or any other modern American suburb. Things are more eclectic and random to the south.

That's about all I know so far.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Agreed, but most parents of this gen have gone out of their way to make life easier on their kids instead of teaching them these lessons. That was one of the biggest issues in my marriage, she wanted to baby her kid and I wanted her to learn real life lessons. I lost out and now there’s yet another fantasy lazy 20-something out there doing half-ass at everything and expecting everyone else to pick up the slack.

ducnut likes this.
  8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I did right by my offspring. I don't think I should be compelled to pay up for those that failed.

9. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

10. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Life's not fair, but it really is unfortunate how much (essentially) indoctrination goes into the youth today. Kids really are pushed into an unrealistic and narrow definition of success in life, that is emphasized again and again by most of the people who should be providing guidance while making these decisions. While I whole heartedly believe in personal responsibility, it's understandable how we got to where we are, and why so many struggle.

Jeff McKinney and ducnut like this.
  11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don’t think anyone is asking you to, at least not in this thread. I will say though, that like all societal issues, we all “pay” eventually. Higher taxes is the most obvious, but there’s a host of other indirect impacts: more crime, higher insurance rates, depressed property values, lower returns on investments, worthless son-in-laws, etc, etc, etc.

ducnut and Montoya like this.
  12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Cost of living is higher. Housing is higher. COS is OK but the cool part is 45 west and in bad weather to far. Californians are moving there. Like NY the out state area might be nice but it is ruled by NYC. Soon Colorado with be #$%#$ed by Boulder and Denver residents from California.

ducnut likes this.
  13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So they lived to high on the hog and now are paying the piper.... always been this way. I have two brothers one makes far less than me and has a good life, lives well within his means and is pretty content. I live within my means and starting to plan my early retirement. #3 has the new cars and big house and will be in for a HUGE shock if he tries to retire. Nothing new in it today except the whiners that made crap choices are getting air time in promotion of the Marxist ideal.

ducnut likes this.
  14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yes because Missouri is so enlightening. :D

ducnut likes this.
  15. G 97

G 97 Garth

Why you gotta disrespect the great state of Iowa like that. :crackup:

ducnut likes this.
  16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Missouri is freaking awesome! Honestly, it’s great here. Conservative government, tons of geographical diversity, big cities, small towns, great airports, smooth roads, good jobs. The only thing we’re missing is a decent track.

ducnut likes this.
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

Oh Fuck off. :D :)

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Wow. How does anyone live there? Can there really be that many tech assholes buying all these houses?

I’m sure it actually was a burned out shell at those affordable prices. It’s probably been sold already.

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

I certainly like my house at the Ozarks.
    1562963077481.jpg

BHP41 and ducnut like this.
  20. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Was it sinking into the lake?

sheepofblue likes this.