1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sooo does that mean you're not donating again?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Handicapped Racer, Aug 8, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Field?

2. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Colorado Springs. Its the Texas of Colorado. It has plenty of homeless and some dirty parts but nothing like Boulder.

3. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Business intelligence, data analytics, business systems analysis.

4. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Funnily enough, I’ve been reading up a lot on different cities. Colorado Springs was in the top 5 for favorable employment conditions. What’s the market look like for business intelligence and analytics?

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I have no idea on the job prospects, but you would be far from the first person to sell their basic home on the coast and move here to live like a king.

6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

7. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I am sorry, I honestly dont know. I have worked in a very insulated industry for 18 years and know nothing about other industries.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Please, for the love of all things holy, tell me you didn't have me confused with G97!!!!!!!

Do you work for Dollar General?

beac83 likes this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Well, you both have numbers in your username. LOL!

I should’ve realized a jackass in a well isn’t a flatbiller-wannabe-rapper. :crackup:

G 97 likes this.
  10. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

On a national basis, the availability of a skilled labor pool is trumping many of the traditional business decisions for company relocation packages. There's a significant trend of corporate regional congregation, where a startling percentage of new businesses moving into a region or state are all going to just a handful of statistical areas. Primarily, because after due diligence investigations, those locations have been identified as having either available skilled labor pools or the ability to attract skilled labor pools. We're seeing a bewildering demographic shift nationally from this, and some of the biggest presentations in the economic development world are centered on it. Essentially, we're having geographical winners and losers, with the winners taking all, while the losers or small towns simply fade away. Depending on where you live, just look at some of the small or rural communities over the past 20 years. The one's that are not essentially a solid relic of the old factory town model, or have some other significant quality (tourism, retirees, etc.), are dying off. I wouldn't want to presume what an appropriate wage is for a given type of work or at a given location, but on the most simplistic model of economics, if you pay enough - they will come.

Wheeliest and ducnut like this.
  11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have a theory on why there are few students working (I've noticed that the traditional employers are having a hard time filling the traditional PT and temp jobs here as well). I worked summers and PT when I was a student because I had to. Even if my parents had been able to help with school costs they wouldn't. Tuition, room and board were either by loan, grant, scholarship, or earn it. My parents owned their house which kicked me out of consideration for grants. I had loans, but they didn't cover living expenses, and I didn't get a scholarship until my last year. I had a lot of classmates that were in college PT because they needed to work.

Fast forward a few decades and loans are far more accessible, and for much larger amounts. Parents don't expect their kids to work. Hell, they are even subsidizing their lifestyles into their 30s. IMHO, it is the availability of loans, lack of parental expectations and somewhat of a condescending attitude toward working your way up that is causing the shortage.

ducnut likes this.
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

And both end in 7. Maybe they are related.

ducnut likes this.
  13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This is a HUGE problem because most of these kids don't understand what they're getting in to until they're 35, have exhausted all of their loans, deferrals, etc, and are now trying to figure out how to buy a house, afford kids, and set themselves up for retirement in the same way their parents did. Except their parents started earning at 18-22, so a solid 15 years sooner, AND they didn't have a $100k hole do dig themselves out of from student loans. I know, personal responsibility yada yada yada, but some blame has to be put on the massive misinformation campaign these people have succumbed to.

ducnut likes this.
  14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You motherfuckers are going on my list!

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You want a map?

16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Check into southern NH.
    I live in a nice area and I can be in Boston in less
    than an hour. Boston is a nice city with great hospitals,
    great colleges, lots of entertainment, etc.
    The 128 Belt is even closer to NH and is heavily
    populated with high-tech industries.
    Pay scales are high in MA and you can go home to
    NH at night. No sales or income tax.
    Constitutional carry, no gun licenses.
    A huge ORV and snowmobile trail system as well as
    paved rail trails.
    Close to beaches and mountains with a variety
    of places to ski and tons of lakes and ponds.
    There's a lot to like here and I would think there
    would be a lot of job opportunities for you.

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Life will teach you lessons, some will be very unpleasant.

ducnut likes this.
  18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

As I posted the problem was decades in the making and will not cure over night. But doing nothing makes it worse not better. IMO having opportunities will make it better but takes time.

ducnut likes this.
  19. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

My daughter is there now visiting the ex wife’s sister/family. She’s thinking about moving there, as it seems to fit her better than central Bama. Any suggestions about a move?

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Is it misinformation, or lack of effort on the part of the youngsters. It doesn't take much effort to determine the earning potential of an anthropology degree and compare it to one in engineering or healthcare.

ducnut likes this.