1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sooo does that mean you're not donating again?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Handicapped Racer, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

That was not the case in Greenville. The labor pool is small to begin with and a new distributor came to town with deep pockets setting off a war for bodies. Our wages are fine.

Culture on the other hand? No comment. :)

ducnut likes this.
  2. G 97

G 97 Garth

If you are unable to attract sufficient amount of low skill or non technical workers then your wages are not fine.

You have a labor shortage because workers are choosing to work elseware. Workers will migrate accordingly.

sheepofblue likes this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That’s the same issue with my employer. For example, HQ is ~2800 employees in a town of ~1900 and they just completed another expansion (SMH). Only ~25% of the town’s population work for us, so a TON of commuters.

They view going into small, depressed communities as helping change their lives. And, it can. However, qualified labor is seriously lacking. And, by qualified, I mean clean and willing to work. It’s amazing to see the lack of motivation of so many in these communities where the culture is to receive welfare. They’d rather live a shitty life of doing and having nothing (easy street), rather than be productive and have a great life. Frustrating to see.

4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Not exactly true and my employer is proof. Is nearly $19/hr starting wage, with complete benefits, too low? Those positions top at almost $28/hr for the warehouse. Still too low for a warehouse worker?

Newsshooter likes this.
  5. Fonda Dix

You know more about this than me but are you saying that people will migrate to the frozen north just to work in our warehouse peak season for four months? I dont disagree. I am honestly asking.

We start at $16 per hour for picking and pulling. Is that low? I dont know.

6. Fonda Dix

oh and I need to add, we rely on seasonal employees (students) for peak season and they just dried up. Not sure why. Maybe it was wages.

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yes, if you are unable to attract a sufficient level of workers.

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

I don't think it's a question of too low. It's a question of what does the wage need to be to attract workers. It's all market driven the actuall number varies accordingly.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This is where the hangup happens. It seems like they won't anymore. My grandfather rode on the OUTSIDE of a train from Missouri to California in the 1930's looking for work. Now people won't move an hour away, or work a job that involves travel, or work a job that requires drug testing. There's also some kind of disconnect between wages and cost of living. I make a pretty decent salary, but I look around at people driving new $70k SUV's and living in $400k houses and cannot for the life of me figure out how they're managing to do it (short of being so insanely underwater that they're counting on their term life insurance policy to pay everything off when they die of the inevitable stress induced heart attack at 50).

And if you really get down to brass tacks, while $19/hr sounds like a lot of money, it's really only $38k/yr, or roughly $3200/mo gross. After taxation, that's $2600. Rent/mortgate for a 3bd/2ba house is at least $900 so now you have $1700 left. Gas, groceries, and toiletries for a family of four will knock that down another $500-$600, so now you're left with $1100. Car payment, insurance, and gas are another $600 leaving you with $500. Childcare, phone and utilities, will eat up all the rest and then some. This can be countered by both spouses working, but then you have to factor in close to a $1000/mo child care if you have young kids. I truly don't know how people make it.

Wheeliest likes this.
  10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

There are no workers. It’s like building a DC in the middle of IA, at a random intersection, and claiming it’s the right place because the land and taxes are cheap. Gotta’ have employees, too.

11. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

no no no, I just provided a little extra data to my lil piece of addition to this thread. I really enjoy the article painting a picture that it's ICE's fault the company is losing money... the headline should be
    Koch Foods lack of due diligence cost's them "millions"

Montoya, ducnut and cav115 like this.
  12. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Deport illegals, tighten up give away programs.

When they get hungry, they`ll work...or not.

sheepofblue and ducnut like this.
  13. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

over compensating welfare programs do their part also..

ducnut likes this.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

For the most part, I completely agree with your first thoughts. The idea that life should be $70K SUV’s and $400K houses is a result of a culture raised on TV. The disconnect is right there. HGTV, Kardashians, Housewives, etc, are not reality. Our ancestors never lived this way. Back then, it was save to buy and, now, is credit for everything. I blame parents, who use a TV for babysitting, for this culture of entitlement and expectations. Kids think getting a degree means they’re entitled to that life. Or, they think by mimicking what they see on TV, YT, etc, is going to give them that life. It’s not reality. My second blame is the greed. Everyone/every company who can offer something, wants to get rich off that offering. When that offering could be a reasonable price, it’s often inflated because they can. Instead of offering 100 for “X” dollars, let’s see if we can sell 10 for the same “X” dollars.

I completely disagree with your second thought. If we back up, you were talking unskilled/untrained workers. Typically, that’s McDonald’s, Walgreens, laborer, etc. You’re talking minimum wage, no benefits, part-time/seasonal work (intentional with all corporations, so they don’t have to provide benefits), and 30 X $9.50 is ~$15K/yr. Those same people can walk right into my employer at ~2X the wage, full benefits (nearly all of it paid), more hours available than one can handle, and 40 X $18 is ~$40K/yr. Topped out, on a 40hr work week, it’s ~$60K for unskilled/uneducated labor. The difference here is they’re expected to work and everything is audited. The company isn’t giving out the compensation for nothing. In addition, there is internal coursework available to help ascension within the company. This includes a program of 100% tuition paid for those wanting to become a driver.

You mentioned childcare. My employer is investigating building a facility and offering it. They just built a 100% free medical facility for employees. Instead of having the doc and nurses in some unused area of the building, they’ll have their own dedicated facility with everything necessary for preventive medicine, including physical therapy. Currently, this is only at HQ, because of the shear number of employees, versus satellite DC’s.

Again, why would anyone want to work here? :D

15. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

It’s just the way the people hiring illegal workers want it. Buy a Senator or 3 and make sure any such legislation dies.

We don’t need a border wall. We need to force employers to hire legal labor and pay them similar rates to Americans. That’s dry up the supply real quick like.

16. SGVRider

$400,000 house? Where is this deal? Round here, you can’t even get into a shitbox for less than $700 Gs. Yes, I’m trying to GTFO.

ducnut likes this.
  17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

THAT's the other thing, Property values are relatively low here compared to other parts of the country. This $400k house in my town would be a million dollar house or better in yours (where are you at?).

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...emier-Rd_Fulton_MO_65251_M70833-03784?view=qv

ducnut likes this.
  18. Fonda Dix

This is one of the key reasons I just left Boulder. Paying an average of $541 per square foot to live with rude, country hating, over taxing leftists makes no sense. Springs is less than half that amount and the people are normal, for the most part.

Curious, where is round here? California?

ducnut likes this.
  19. SGVRider

Fuck that’s like an Iraqi palace compared to what you can get here in Los Angeles. I don’t even need all that. I mean “get” for a regular person not a Hollywood asshole.

What’s the jobs situation like? I’m compiling a list of every city in the US and calculating an index of buying power to potential earnings. Then I’m planning to apply in my field as an out of state candidate. My wife is resistant though. We’ve got kids and a support system here. It makes it harder to start over.

20. SGVRider

Yup. Los Angeles. I am so completely over it. Where you at now?