1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sooo does that mean you're not donating again?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Handicapped Racer, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

The only for-profit prison that I'm familiar with was an absolute mad house, and was eventually shut down. The private company essentially handed guard duty to the gangs, in exchange for keeping the violence private and avoid outside media or legal attention. The only reason private prisons exist, isn't to save operating costs, but to partially avoid being responsible for understaffed, underfunded, under-trained, and underpaid personnel, opening the state to lawsuits for not being able to perform their legally required duties.

sheepofblue and SGVRider like this.
  2. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I will add, if a person thinks police powers and the judicial system is NOT also about money, they are a dumb person. Punishment and incarceration are a business like any other.

ryoung57 and SGVRider like this.
  3. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

4. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I can’t think of better reasons to reform the system. We’re not actually rehabilitating people, we’re making more and worse sociopathic monsters by brutalizing them. Rather than adopting a system that protects society, rehabilitates where possible and minimizes cost, we’ve built something where the sole objective is punishment at an enormous cost.

We should look to places like Norway that have extremely low rates of recidivism.

Most of the people in jail are there for drug related crime of some sort. If we addressed that problem and the utterly failed “war” on drugs we’d fix most of the prison problem.

I’m just an idealistic fool though. There’s a constituency in the prison and justice industrial complexes now, they’ll never let real reform happen.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What makes them legitimate?

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

7. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

You know the old adage about the broken clock. Applies here.

Recently, my own attitude has changed regarding the homeless. I seem to have lost all compassion and have started being aggressive in my responses to them. Not sure why.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Most homeless are that way by choice. They’re not able to comply with the structure necessary to lead a normal life, usually due to mental illness or drug use, so they choose to roam.

9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I don't recall any big cases where an entire judicial system coordinated to feed prisoners to a prison for profit scheme.....any links??? Not saying it hasn't happened but some of you are acting like it's a known nationwide problem, you know right there with the majority of police being racist. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think I LOVE the idea of prisoners serving long term sentences being WORKED instead of working on making their body & mind stronger to being better criminals later. Why you gotta be so negative? Go visit the recidivism rate to get your answer.

Bring back license plate stamping so they don't have to rip us off at the DMV, maybe even add sign making for all our highways. Surely it can be done cheaper than paying outside sources.

My local County jail here, have trustees picking up roadside garbage weekly....that's some damn good use if you ask me.

Fonda Dix and ducnut like this.
  10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

For a former cop, you sure are a naive sumbitch.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

[​IMG]

12. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Who gets to decide what are "legitimate" functions of government?

BTW: The rest of the developed world has decided that "Dispensing pharmaceuticals and replacing hips:" is a legitimate government function. We stand alone in paying double what any other country does for health care, and getting mid-level results from the money we pay.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

See if you can find it for me...

Oh. And government is the solution to this?

[​IMG]

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The rest of the developed world has relied on the US
    for protection and used the money for social programs
    instead and they're reaching the limits of other peoples
    money for that shit also.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How about instead of being a douche guzzling troll, you actually state your case so we can discuss the pros and cons of your point of view?

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I’ve discussed it at length.

Originalism FTW

17. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Thanks for making my case. :beer:

18. G 97

G 97 Garth

You should seek all of your healthcare and any medical attention outside of the US then. We certainly are not getting mid level results, that’s pure BS.

And NO, it’s not the US governments responsibility to be involved in implementing healthcare or providing it to the people.

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

How did this make your case?

20. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Oh look at here, we have another internet genius, educate me, I did ask people to share links so enlighten me???
    We didn't have private prisons in NJ.

Do those other countries have sue happy lawyers like we do here driving up costs???? Probably not, right?

Also, we seem to hear about a lot of foreigners coming to the US for their medical procedures, where are Americans going for their ailments??? Is some other country getting flooded with Americans the way we are here?