1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social media, politics and livelihoods

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Rob P, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I am usually a late comer to social media fads. I didn't start using twitter until maybe two years ago mainly to follow the behind the scenes happenings in MotoGP and WSBK. Around November there was an increase in political content. Obviously, this season was really bad and got old quick. After the election some of it died down but there is still a fair amount being posted by motojournalists.
    My twitter activity is limited to following motorcycle racing. I don't follow or want to hear about politics. Which leads me to question the reasoning for people who are depend on viewership for their livelihood to put out political content on social media. I have expunged a few otherwise decent journalists for their political postings and keep my timeline pretty apolitical. What is your take on politics for people who don't earn their living in politics?

2. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty dumb for most businesses, especially retail, to weigh in on their political leanings as it may alienate half their customer base.

Lawn Dart and Orvis like this.
  3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The only time politics belong in sports or business is when there is a direct connection, i.e. legislation impacting the sport directly. Other than that STFU, your thought on real life do not interest me.

Lawn Dart and sheepofblue like this.
  4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Half?

You sure about that?....

Trump supporters are a tiny number in the world of motorcycle racing...

5. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I just signed up for twitter just so that I could friend request Donald Trump. I felt that I could get the latest news quicker. So far he hasn't replied, but I can see his posts, so maybe he accepted.

6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Regardless of the % it is dumb. Decades ago we had an auto parts store with a competitor up the road who provided worse service to people that happened to be black and was fairly filthy. We treated everyone the same and kept things clean and well lit. Not only did we pick up a lot of customers who were black a lot of women and men that were dressed well preferred us (it was mentioned). Of course we were also not hurt on the greasy mechanic trade either. All win for us just for treating folks decent.

Same goes for a business, sell your product to anyone that pays then go home and vote on your own time :flag:

7. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Agreed, it's just the US centric percentage that I found somewhat annoying. If this was about american football, well, then..... :D

8. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

my take is that they are POLorized and now becoming weaponized, Zombie bot-nets.

mind control victims/useful idiots (they are being used)

unless you are a public official, keep that shit private! and please include your sexual orientations aswell.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  9. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I read about these twitter bots.

Since I tried twitter and decided it was a colossal waste of time and energy, I don't get why there are killer twitter bots that race to troll targeted posts. People need to rediscover their real lives.

blkduc, R Acree, Fonda Dix and 2 others like this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Hear! Hear!

11. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Sadly there have been a few that just tweeted or retweeted one political thing too many. David Emmett was the last to make the cut, but guys like Jeremy McWilliams have also been weeded out. I generally liked Emmett's stuff and know he relies on donations and such to keep the lights on and get to races and what not, but he was also preachy about Journos and their right to tweet about politics. I figure I will see how it goes this season. If stupid continues I will ditch twitter all together.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I follow very few outlets and he's one of them. He has been been dangerously close to getting cut a few times in the past few months. Now that MotoGP getting active again, I hope he focuses again on that before it's too late.
    I really think he should have two accounts and leave the politics out of Motomatters. And it's not even because I disagree with what he says (I suspect you do :D ), I just don't want to read it. When a tweet shows up, I wanted to be about motorcycle racing.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My latest celeb one was Bourdain, got way too political and sadly I won't be able to watch anything he does. He's always been a little on the poor little rich kid liberal side with certain things but too much is too much.

I've nuked a bunch of mindless Trumpsters too but didn't have a lot of that mentality left after Obamas term.

14. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm more like you I just don't care to read it. Comparatively his stuff has been fairly benign but that's not why I followed him.

15. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Another quote from your Chrystal ball?

16. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Fortunately, I do not use Twitter and, sadly, I don't even know how to set my phone up to do so. There's more than enough sources for news, and the ramification of that news, to suit me. ;)

17. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I gave up on Twitter. I find it kind of stupid and my current pet peeve are news outlets reporting what someone said on Twitter as news. I'm not condemning anyone that uses Twitter, but it is the proverbial microphone/15 minutes of fame that everyone just doesn't need. Facebook has a place in this world - we're all spread out about the planet and could sometimes use a quicker/easier way to communicate and keep in touch. But, Twitter is people using their outside voices, inside, 140 characters at a time.

18. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

That guy is the biggest most pompous New York cunt I ever heard in my life

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You're just rationalizing. Facebook is everything Twitter is, plus other stuff.

20. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid:
    Facebook is an echo chamber, just like Twitter. It is just on Facebook you get pics of dogs, kids and motorcycles thrown in with the opinions and rants.