1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. dlafz1

dlafz1 Well-Known Member

I did the trip to Prudhoe Bay 4 years ago on a Vstrom 650. It was plenty of bike. I rode with two friends, one on a ST the other on an FJR. The ST was the best bike for the trip based on the shear miles that we logged. The dude on the FJR, his choice was the best for 85% of the roads, the other 15% he made work with what he had.

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

You know what...after all the ADV bike talk I went and bought an FJR. And I love it. Oh, I still think I'll get a Tenere or couple year old GS next spring, but the FJR will still be in my fleet. It's that good of a motorcycle.

sharkattack and dlafz1 like this.
  3. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

given the price of a nicely set up used FJR these days, it's a sure bet. a couple of friends have bought them just for when they want that type of bike. prices on used bikes are dropping, it's a good time to buy.

rd400racer and dlafz1 like this.
  4. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

My latest ride back into the ADV world. New leftover 2016 Triumph Tiger XC 800. Had it about a month now and really enjoying the triple motor. WP suspension on it is about spot on for my size right off the floor.

No plans for it, just going to keep it simple, light and enjoy it. No big luggage bags or any of that. If I go Moto camping on it I’ll use my wolfman duffle thrown over the back seat.

And I got the bike dirt cheap being a leftover plus a 2 year factory warranty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

XFBO, Steeltoe and gt#179 like this.
  5. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I’ve got a 2008 FJR and love it. Will be doing the forks and shock this winter.

6. rd400racer

I put a Wilbers on the rear last weekend. Transformed the bike. Now for the front.

sharkattack likes this.
  7. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Where’d you order the Wilburs from? Did you look at any other shocks before deciding on the Wilburs? What are your plans for the front?
    Thx!

rd400racer likes this.
  8. bstadele

bstadele New Member

I AM I GOT A HONDA AFRICAN TWIN

9. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I like the Africa twin and I have a close friend who owns one. Cool bike and Honda did good on it. It’s a liter bike and for me I’m done with those big heavy adv bikes for now.

The new sports model AT is bad ass but way too tall for anyone under 6’ and 200 lbs. I sat on one and I struggled to get it off the sidestand and was literally tip toed like I am on a 225 dirtbike. Not good in a 550 plus big adv bike.

10. rd400racer

I got it on the FJR forum. It was used but the seller had it serviced before he sold it (even had the paperwork to prove it) so I got it for half price. But after riding with it for a week, I'd happily pay retail...around $650.

sharkattack likes this.
  11. FZRCraig

FZRCraig Offensive to Most

Just picked up an '07 BMW G650 XChallenge. Put 500 miles on it last week - about 330 lbs. - decent Rotax power - good handling - PO put on an Ohlins and Hyperpro springs. Pretty happy with it so far - has a certain cool factor too.

12. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Race tech has a pretty sweet setup for FJR's (forks and shock), mine came with it and was the reason I bought it, no ragerts.

rd400racer likes this.
  13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes, this IS the trail....Cannibal Plateau/BrushCreek
    [​IMG]
    1100/1200'ish miles in Colorado last week....fkn awesome.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Hey Craig, making one of your semi annual posts I see. :crackup:

16. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Damn Britt -

Looks like fun. Soooooooo, no photos of Poughkeepsie Gulch and its carnage? Thank you in advance for that omission. I can personally attest to Dr. Nitro Acres' bad ass off road skills. I don't think his handlebar touched the ground once in 7 days/1100 miles of back country Colorado debauchery.

What struck me was the incredible number of atv's, side-by-sides, campers, jeeps, trucks and whatnot in the Colorado back country. 10 years ago, it was purely motos with a few atv's. Now the entire family, grandparents, infants, etc are clogging the trails and the campsites. Gotta go elsewhere I suppose . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

duggram and Britt like this.
  17. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Idaho....
    and yes I crashed one time...gravity tested positive.
    Absolutely GREAT time riding with You and the other two yahoo's.

18. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Curious to see what they will price this at but this look like it’ll be awesome
    [​IMG]

19. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I'm looking forward to a comparison between the 790 and the T7. I'm thinking I'm going to get one of them.

JBowen33 likes this.
  20. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

That Headlight/gauge pod/windscreen set up don't look crash friendly for shit...just saying, neither does the down pipe behind the peg.