1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The tube is stretching too much for the patch to hold. Proper tube prep and a good patch and great glue that gets to set up for at least a couple of hours before riding would be best, then limp the bike back and REPLACE the tubes ASAP.

ducnut likes this.
  2. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Took a class. . .

got schooled. . .:D

IMG_8075 (1).jpg

IMG_8084.jpg

IMG_8088 (1).jpg

3. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Might plan a 1 day "challenging" big bike ride up around Clayton GA in the next few weeks if anyone is in the area and wants to ride. :)

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Could you define "challenging" ...:)

5. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

stuff where some might say a big bike shouldn't be riding. :) But I will go preride the route on my 950 at least once before the ride. I've been going out with a friend and cutting some stuff out of the way to make it more fun. Nothing too crazy but with a group of guys (or gals?) on big bikes, everyone lends a hand if/when help is needed. I've ridden some of it on the 950 but with a little cleaning up it would be a very fun day of riding.

I'll probably go up again in the next week or so and do some more "trail maintenance" and will shoot some video.

Britt and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You riding a 950 tells us everything we need to know. Haha.

7. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Here's flatlands on the 950, the fun stuff is about 3 minutes in on the video. This would be what I consider a "challenging ride" but not on the route I want to do. It's more double track/FS road but rough and rutted out. I've run it solo a bunch on the 950 but wouldn't run the newer stuff solo mainly because it's off the beaten path. With a small group I think it would be a lot of fun. Bike videos are still good, right?? :)

On another note, I took the MSF ADV class two weekends ago at Iron Mountain riding park in north GA. It was a basic class (full day of instruction in a large flat area) but for someone just getting into ADV riding it would be a great way to get some good tips on slow speed handling, off camber hills, braking, etc. I enjoyed it, and feel it would be a big help for someone coming from a street background and familiar with the way MSF teaches things (i.e. the instructor has to read sections to you verbatim so that nothing is missed, slow speed drills, etc). I think we were the first to actually take the class in the US as the coaches had just been certified recently. I was on my 950, another friend on his 1090, and two guys on Triumph 1200 scramblers.

8. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Thanks D.D, I'm glad you reminded me of this. Had in mind to do it for a couple years now, but forgot about it during the pandemic shut down. I've got a lot of dirt riding background, but just getting back into it after over 10 years of health issues keeping me off of mine. I thought this might be a great 'refresher' re-acclimation opportunity for me.

9. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I came down Flatland last week on a 500. It is in worse shape than your video, altho' you captured the essence of it. No way I'm taking my 950 up it today. Good job riding it on your SE. Line selection and momentum are essential.

Cheers,

Dave

10. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I've ridden in a few times in the past few months, and yes it's a bit worse now. Helps to have a good idea of what you are getting into. :)

Might be up there Friday if you want to ride. Will be on the 500 and planning on doing some exploring in the area.

11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

If I knew what was ahead, I'd not go that way. :crackup: I used to ride Flatland all the time on big bikes - several years ago. It was a nice ride and a good trail connector. No more. Let me see what tomorrow brings. Thanks.

Cheers,

Dave

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

13. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Anyone here have any real world experience with a KTM 625 SXC? I just found one at an estate sale here near Sedona. I'm doing a bit of internet searching and trying to see if anyone used it for a small(ish) ADV bike.

14. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I’m looking for a late model, low mileage GSA if anyone has one for sale or has a connection. Thanks!

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

There's always a bunch for sale on the ADV forum. There's two 2019's and a 2016 with low miles and that was just a quick search.

16. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Yeah. I've filtered through the ones from the last couple of weeks. I tried to buy the '22 that showed up this morning, but the owner has not been easy to work with. I was hoping somebody on here might have a lead.

rd400racer likes this.
  17. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I have one, and another one that is my sons...great bike, IMO, but Dave will tell you they shake like a PaintMixer..and not much power>>LOL
    If you like tinkering with a bike and like them Tall and Fast..there it is.
    [​IMG]
    NMBDR
    [​IMG]

Wingnut likes this.
  18. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

This 04 looks like its been sitting outside since 2005. 3700 miles but.....
    I might offer $800 and see if she takes it

19. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Parts are worth x2 that...unless a rusted pile.

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The bike with 3 miles on it? There are some interesting characters on that forum. I never knew buying new bikes, farkling them, then selling without riding was a thing.