1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've stalked the Advforum for years and read every thread pertaining to these motorcycles on there. I wanted to here what YOU guys have to say on the matter. I know some of you all (I don't know if that's a good thing or not:D).

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

That ship has sailed... all the jokes and funny pics from ADV have been reposted here for some time. Hell, the OP is on there....apparently he values our opinion more.

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I Do!!:D

pscook and baconologist like this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

As you should... I try to be helpful here occasionally, over there I'm a dick.

JBall and rd400racer like this.
  5. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

The biggest crossovers are Sprinter-source , Advrider, and wera forums. I swear its the same members list on all three

rd400racer likes this.
  6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I see a 911 in your Avatar. Plenty of us are on Pelican, as well :)

5axis and GrayGhost like this.
  7. GrayGhost

I'm on Pelican , bumped into the guy that bought my Gallardo on there . He was G50 911 shopping along with myself, HA

motion likes this.
  8. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

WHAts up man. I have a 17 1090R I got as a left over sale. It’s bad ass and will do bad ass things off road too.

Blasting down gravel roads at 100mph or hopping over logs, double track single track whatever. I just wouldn’t take it up anything to Extream... yet :)

If you wanna ride lmk

I really like my 1090r although haven’t had it long. I also have a 17 husky 450. Obviously the 1090 is way heavier but where the husky bounces and jumps around everything the 1090 just plows over everything. As long as you have some momentum and keep standing it will do pretty much anything.

It’s also a lot of fun on the road. Quick enough, it is like riding a big Dirtbike and I like that because I get in trouble on streeet bikes

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    rd400racer likes this.
  9. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

I've got a KLR and a KTM 520 EXC.

I love the KTM for dirt and gravel work and the KLR for an afternoon ride on skinny backroads and exploring.

The KLR is likely the worst dirt bike and simultaneously the worst street bike I've ever owned. BUT, if I was riding to Tierra del Fuego, it just might be the one I would choose to ride there. It is stone-axe simple and can be completely disassembled, repaired and reassembled with the multi-tool in your pocket. It has great range and a big gas tank. It can go on the interstate if needed, and can be duck-walked up a steep rutted hill. It is ugly and crashes well. It is not uncomfortable on all day rides.

The KTM is a full-on dirt bike with a tall seat and sharp pegs. It has gobs of power everywhere and real suspension. Every time I hop on it, it makes me happy. The only downside is that you wouldn't want to ride it on a two day trip, or more than a few miles on pavement.

My buddy has a 1290R, and it's a really neat machine. I personally don't shade that way in my riding, but it's performance and comfort is off the charts, but it's a pavement-only bike for sure.

83BSA likes this.
  10. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

With a good dirt bike background the big Yamaha was very capable of anything you threw at it and then some. Best part about it you could be 1500 miles from home, beating the crap out of your bike and you knew it would make it back home. Solid built motorcycle. Yamaha did good on it.

Really enjoyed the places mine took me. Breath taking at times.

Near St George Utah at a place called top of the world by the locals. BLM land and very remote just you and the free roam cattle. Trust me they’ll run out in front of you.

[​IMG]

For the money the Yamaha is a steal.

rd400racer likes this.
  11. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Never owned one but ridden with many of them. KLRis one tough ombré.

This guy crashed on a rock in a creek and cracked the engine case. Hour later with some JB weld and it was back going. Lasted the whole trip afterward.

We were at 9k feet up in the Utah High plain woods at this point nothing for miles.

[​IMG]

12. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

A somewhat dirty bike tread , 5/6 pages in and no sign of Melka ? He must be out riding :D

gt#179 likes this.
  13. GrayGhost

Say Carillo three times and summon him

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Me and the KLR on Atigun Pass, August 2017.

IMG_2935.JPG

15. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

So, me and a buddy rode up to the Dunlop tire test a week or so ago. It was 70% dirt route that I put together, we ran into a few re-routes...but overall it was an awesome trip. 600+/- miles each way. Here are a few pics from 4 hrs of video. Top to bottom: creek crossing Suwannee River, somewhere in AL, getting tired and Garrett tipping over after a long but not finished day, on top of the last 1000+ peak before the gulf in AL. The tower was built in the 30's by the civil corp and still had the original staircase....and outhouse! A.B. to Barber-00-09-18-940.jpg A.B. to Barber-01-12-10-133.jpg A.B. to Barber-02-23-20-925.jpg A.B. to Barber-02-27-23-883.jpg

Stumpy, cBJr, rd400racer and 2 others like this.
  16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Only two adventure bikes I would consider are the new Africa Twin or the Yamaha 700 Ténéré if it ever comes to us. I would have a slight preference for the Yamaha I think because that little cross plane parallel twin is awesome.

17. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

Last week I got back from riding the Dalton to Deadhorse/Prudhoe on my ‘17 Husky FE501. The time we were in town it was 30 degrees, I see now they are having temps in the 50’s and 60’s. I agree on the Tenere 700, especially where it’s mostly a highway ride like this. There were a lot of big bikes, mostly rental GS BMWs from Motoquest. It was good to get to our rooms each day and then getting out to visit with other riders, most were foreigners. This week we’re heading out for the COBDR and this is where the Husky will be a good choice. DS/Adventure riding does have a lot of rewarding returns

dlafz1 likes this.
  18. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

thumpers go anywhere.. and the only excuse for not making it on one and/or turning around is 'youre a PU$$Y!", everything else is just another excuse to hide that fact.

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I love this thread. Great pics!

20. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I can agree with that.

Here's a pic of my Husky loaded up at Coldfoot heading out for Deadhorse. There's at least one guy riding RTW on 500 KTM. The new bikes are changing the landscape.

Coldfoot 2018.JPG

Steeltoe likes this.