1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I didn't plan it this way but last week was my second multi-day ride solo. For some reason there's always a partner to go with. Last year I met up with a guy from ADVrider to ride Baja. On the second day he told me he stopped taking his bipolar meds before leaving home. Halfway down the peninsula I ended up riding home alone but I always had a room to sleep in. Last week on the NMBDR was three nights of camping solo. The night in Weed was the first time I've heard elk bugle and there were a lot of them for a few hours. The last night I stayed in Dog Canyon National Campground and was the only camper there. It's a remote place with a lot of wildlife. From now on I'll be looking for solo opportunities. It's nice not having to compromise. Solo you do what you want, when you want. This winter I want to make a few solo trips over into Arizona for some winter camping in the warm weather. You just don't appreciate it until you've done it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    rd400racer likes this.
  2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Sounds like a nice trip. I'm with you on the solo thing. I do most of my riding solo even in dangerous spots. You're an easier target for bad guys, but I believe you're a bit more benign at border crossings and when dealing with the authorities.

duggram likes this.
  3. duggram

I've broken the Baja no night riding rule a couple of times now, but only out of necessity and don't want to do that again. I've read a lot of travelers saying that if you stick to day time travel you're safe. As soon as I can get a vaccine I'm heading out for Baja, partner or not. BTW you know the Mexican border is not closed. I've been over a couple of times since Spring. They want our $.

4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I thought the car border was closed, but you could fly in.

5. duggram

I follow Talk Baja and Talk Baja road conditions on FB. Some crossings have limited hours but they all seem to be open.

6. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Duggram -

You have a PM.

Cheers,

Dave

7. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

:confused:

Yowza. That had to be interesting.

SuddenBraking and duggram like this.
  8. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

9. duggram

10. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

BDFFF887-BDC2-4AE5-98AE-42D511A1D141.jpeg C898BEF9-DD78-46DC-AEC3-0463ACAA2E2F.jpeg Mississippi does not disappoint this time of year! Time to go ride the back woods and there is plenty to look at except you won’t melt into a puddle right now doing it. Been off work riding this week just because I can. T7 was my mule. Leaves have not went full blown yet but man the temps were perfect. I’ll take it. I even went to church, a really old one...

E2D6BB80-13A9-43C9-8A93-959EAA8C1488.jpeg EFBCCBD8-83C3-4226-AA2B-EF3E0E9FC4AC.jpeg

Most do not know what I do for a living nor do I care that you do. It has something to do with bridges hence my fascination with really old ones. I go way out of my way to find them and here in MS we have fine specimens to look at. Some you gotta hike to cause they’ve been closed for years. FYI the water level of that river rose to the bottom of that one bridge or what’s left of it I’m under. I used to could cross it 20 years ago and it was one lane with board planks on the wheel ruts. Kinda tough in a bike cause if you rode off the wheel rut line the boards in the middle or to the side you could see the river way down below.

4B342521-21CF-4BE7-9064-896DEB5D89E9.jpeg

11. roy826ex

#shitshow website can’t even post a fucking picture without it fucking it all up :rolleyes:

good lord

ducnut likes this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I want to get down there and see the USS Cairo and Vicksburg museums.

13. roy826ex

Well worth the visit. The battlefield at Vicksburg is another good tour. Also just a little south of Vicksburg head to port Gibson and ride down to the shaifer house. Another bloody civil war historical jewel in the middle of no where. If your on a ADV bike ride the shaifer road on out towards the Windsor ruins. Plenty to see on the historical side in west south west MS. Really good ADV bike riding down that way.

ducnut likes this.
  14. roy826ex

Hit me up if you come down I’ll give you the tour.

ducnut likes this.
  15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Yeah - need a bit more details around this, please.

16. Scotty87

Found a 2012 Tiger 1200 on the marketplace for $5000. It’s been on there a while and he’s come down from an initial of $7250. I’d be all over it, but it’s got 60K on the clock. That seems... high. For that money, anyway. Am I out of touch with Covid-era pricing?

17. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Link?
    Farkles?
    Doesn’t seem that bad. I’m gonna ask that for my 800 with 70k and farkles

18. For some reason the scene from Young Guns popped into my head. “why ain’t they shootin is?” Were in the spirit world, they can’t see us”

19. Scotty87

Very few. And now that I look at the ad again it shows the Triumph hard bags and top case but the description says soft side bags.

20. roy826ex

BA297564-667E-4CE1-9118-9255A88DF56E.jpeg I am still out here on this old slug :D

CRA_Fizzer likes this.